Magica Mima Umbra Puella:Hoshiko
Ikselam's player character in character in Magica Mima Umbra Puella.
 Yamada Hoshiko (山田 星子)
A beautiful girl with long black hair, usually kept in a loose ponytail. She dresses in restrained, feminine clothes, and always wears an onyx pendant on a plain silver necklace. Her quiet manner is often misinterpreted as aloof disdain, but is in fact shyness. As a first-year high school studemt, she gets top marks and is not disliked by her teachers and classmates, but has very few friends. She fills a minor position (Assistant Treasurer) on the Student Council, participates in the calligraphy club, and plays doubles tennis on the varsity team. Although she is a competent tennis player, her lack of competitive spirit makes her do very poorly in singles. She has recently begun taking after-school lessons to improve her English, which is at about the level one would expect from a sixteen-year-old who has diligently studied the language but never actually spoken it outside of school. Hoshiko is interested in astronomy, which she makes no secret of, and science fiction, which she does. When asked what her future plans are, she'll reply that she intends to become a medical professional.
- Appearance: Poised, Graceful, Slender, Tall, Elegant, Careful
- Personality: Thoughtful, Studious, Loyal, Insightful, Inward-Facing, Dutiful, Negative, Avoidant, Passive
Hoshiko is the daughter of two doctors, who decided shortly after she was born that she would follow in their professional footsteps. Although very controlling, they are largely absent and are willing to indulge her personal interests and hobbies as long as they don't conflict with what they think is best for her. The Yamadas live in the suburbs, in a well-appointed house which is quite large by Japanese standards. Though not ostentatious, they don't make any particular effort to hide their wealth; the fact that Hoshiko can get basically any material thing she wants without too much trouble contributes to people misjudging her as a "princess" type.
Hoshiko became a magical girl a few months ago, because she perceived it as offering an escape from her hemmed-in life. Although she was initially attracted by the notion of having a wish granted, she quickly found that she was very happy just flying around on her magic broom at night, far above all the things that troubled her. She knows that several other magical girls are active in the area, but up until recently has avoided them since she has no wish to be drawn into their world of battle and competition. She usually steers clear of any monsters she sees for the same reason, rationalizing that the others seem to be taking care of them just fine.
Hoshiko's parents recently informed her that they will be moving overseas at the end of the school year; her father has been invited to teach at a prestigious American medical school. Hoshiko will of course be accompanying them, as this will be an excellent opportunity for her to get a head start on her own career in medicine. As might be expected, this has provoked a number of different emotions from Hoshiko, happiness not among them; it has also pushed her into taking a more active hand in the city's magical scene.
"Radiant Star Child Transformation" During her transformation, Hoshiko's pendant becomes the nucleus of a tiny comet, which manifests a wooden shaft to become her broom. Her costume consists of a long black coat over layered black-and-white skirts, accented by knee-length riding boots, a floppy beret with a long white plume, and a white aviator's scarf. In her transformed state, she is slightly taller, and her eyes glisten with starlight.
- Element: Stars and other celestial objects.
- Magical Power: Hoshiko can fly on her magic broom, just like a witch. She can't fly without it.
- Weapon: A sturdy, finely-crafted broom with a comet tail instead of the more traditional sort of head. She uses it to perform magic by wielding it like a brush and writing the names of her spells in the air.
 Combat (current)
- Attack 3 (Fury)
- Defense 6 (Heart)
- Support 9 (Magic)
- Initiative 3
- Resolve 16 / 18
 Normal Attributes
- Sharp 7
- Social 6
- Cool 5
- Aggro 3
 Magical Attributes
- Magic 9
- OVERCHARGE: 0
- Heart 6
- OVERCHARGE: 0
- Fury 3
- OVERCHARGE: 0
 Magical Effects
- Magic Boost: Once per battle, get one free Overcharge die in Magic.
- "Soul Nova" Hoshiko's magic is almost too vast for her body to contain. When she uses this ability, her heart flares with a light bright enough to be clearly seen even through her flesh and clothes. After using it, her eyes no longer sparkle until she's recharged.
- Regeneration: Regain 1 Resolve per turn, to a maximum of 13.
- The power saturating Hoshiko's transformed being suffuses her with a feeling of invincibility, and even repairs physical injuries. When wounded, she leaks sparkling white energy instead of blood.
- Barrage Attack (Magic) (Finishing Move): Once per episode, attack all enemies once or attack a single enemy twice. Incurs 1 extra Overcharge point to Magic.
- "Collapsing Antimatter Bombardment" Blinding white stars rain from the sky, blanketing a huge area with perfectly spherical explosions that leave no smoke or debris, but annihilate everything within their areas of effect.
- Yamada Mizuki (山田 美月)
- HEART, STRESS: 1 CHARGE: 0
- Hoshiko's best friend and tennis teammate. A very energetic and outgoing person. She and Hoshiko have been friends since middle school; although they have the same family name, they are unrelated.
- Tanaka Youichi (多仲 陽一)
- HEART, STRESS: 1 CHARGE: 0
- Hoshiko's boyfriend, the rising star of the boys' tennis team. A pleasant, easygoing young man. They've been dating for over a year, and have become quite intimate during the last month or two.
- Ogami Akemi
- MAGIC, STRESS: 0 CHARGE: 0
- Hoshiko thinks Akemi might be a good ally, now that she has decided to become an active participant in the magical world.
- Koumori Chise (蝙蝠 血施)
- FURY, STRESS: 0 CHARGE: 0
- Why does Hoshiko keep running into this other magical girl, and why is she always so belligerent?
- Unspent: 7