Magica Mima Umbra Puella:NPCs
 The Shogi Club
- Kyouno Junko - The club treasurer. A senior in Tomoe's class, Junko does most of the work involved in adminstering the club, and does so very competently. Wants the club to be a popular club for people to hang out and play an interesting game, a vision somewhat at odds with Tomoe's desire to make it a club where serious players can study to improve their game. Tomoe and Junko have clashed frequently in the past over training schedules, tournament attendance and the like, but Miyuki has so far been able to work out their differences. Otherwise, Junko is usually very pleasant to deal with.
- Yukimura Kirika - A 2nd year who is something of a late blooming prodigy. She had very little experience before joining the club, but has progressed very rapidly, and is now a better player than Miyuki, which leaves both Tomoe and Miyuki feeling a bit threatened by her. Very shy, almost pathetically grateful for the attention and praise she receives from her various senpai. Emotionally neglected by her parents. Almost had her existence eaten by yemSoru, but was rescued. Infatuated with Tomoe.
- Yasuoka Hitomi - A 1st year, the weakest player in the club. Her parents are well known in the local Shogi scene, and Tomoe believes she may have joined the Shogi club in order to please them and not because she actually wants to play.
- Oda Nobuyasu - Tomoe's uncle is the advisor to the shogi club. In his youth, he was a well known shinken-shi, an amateur shogi player who made a living by playing for stakes, but after he married he settled down and became a teacher. He has two young children, and as a result rarely gets involved in the running of the club, but does show up to meetings sometimes to play against the girls, who have yet to beat him. Tomoe is frustrated by his lack of involvement in player development, but Miyuki appreciates the autonomy the committee are allowed.
- Sakura Ryouko - Secretary of the Shogi Club, a popular 2nd Year whose absence from the Shogi Club meeting on Tuesday wasn't commented on.
 Other Middle School Staff and Students
- The school nurse - A suspicious woman who ignores creepy salarymen entering the infirmary and hides manila envelopes
- Hotaru's fangirls
 Nana Shimai Jogakuin Students
Amaterasu is a first year at this school.
- Osugi Kotone - Kotone is one of Hotaru's few friends at school. She's several years older than Hotaru—she'll be graduating at the end of this year—but she was Hotaru's senpai in gymnastics club back in junior high, and they remain friends to this day, even after Hotaru was pulled out of the club. Since Hotaru's an only child and her parents are fairly dedicated to their jobs, Kotone's halfway between a friend and a big sister to her, helping to keep the slightly flighty younger girl focused on school and grounded in reality. Still, Kotone's figured out that something strange is going on with Hotaru... she's just not sure what. For the moment, she thinks the girl's just a little resentful that she's going away to college in the fall. A third year student at the school, and former member of the gymnastics team.
- Fujiwara Akasuki - Secretary of the school's kendo team. Looks younger than she is, and is obsessed with cuteness.. Fights in kendo like a berserker. Uses very polite language with girls, even ones her own age, and is rather generous with her honorifics. Secretly the Magical Girl Pink-chan
 Elite Young Men's Academy Students
 Shibaishi Public Highschool Students
[Magica Mima Umbra Puella:Hoshiko|Hoshiko]] and Oda Shion is a first year at this school.
- Yamada Mizuki - A cheerful, outgoing girl who always lives in the moment. Though often taken for an airhead due to her carefree manner, she isn't forgetful or thoughtless; she is actually very reliable, if you don't mind things getting done just in the nick of time. Not a day passes that she isn't dashing to school with toast in her mouth, or frantically jotting down the answers to last night's homework only seconds before the start of class. As one might expect from a person whose life is such a nonstop whirlwind of activity, she is quite fit, and is one of the better players on the school tennis team. Mizuki determined that she and Hoshiko would be best friends shortly after roll-call on their first day of middle school, when she discovered that they were not only sitting next to each other, but shared the same (fairly common) surname. A few months later, while watching the 2009 Toray Pan Pacific Open on television, she realized that there was a pressing need for them to join the tennis team. These events, as well as the diligence with which she followed through on them, are characteristic of her decision-making process. Almost had her existence eaten by yemSoru, but was saved by her Relationship with Hoshiko from oblivion. She was later almost killed by Tanaka Youichi while he was possessed by a Youma, but was saved at the last moment by a ghostly girl with stars in her eyes, riding a broom.
- Tanaka Youichi - A handsome, friendly young man in his first year of high school. He is a rising star of the tennis team, and popular with his classmates thanks to his easygoing style. Despite his average-at-best grades, his middle-class parents (a firefighter and a librarian) are very proud of him, and support his future plans of becoming a professional tennis player or sports journalist. He is best friends with Oda Shion.
- Shinichiro Yume - A half-foreign girl who recently moved to Japan for the first time, Yume finds it difficult to adjust to living in Japan, and presents a sullen demeanour. Yume is in Hoshiko's class in Shibaishi Public High School. On her first day in school, introduced herself with an unpronouncable foreign name. Speaks English fluently, with a weird accent.
- Taro - A second year at Shibaishi Public Highschool, Taro is the Secretary of the Tennis Club, and an unsuccessful skirt chaser.
 Family Members of Magical Girls
- Kirisame Ameko Amaterasu's little sister, back from the dead. Killed (again) by Amaterasu.
- Oda Ichiko - Tomoe's mother is a lecturer in semiotics at Shibaishi University. Supposedly wanted to have a girl, which is why Shion has a unisex name. More frequently at home than her husband, Ichiko is the best cook in the household, and has largely unsuccessfully attempted to interest Tomoe in girly pursuits, although she insists that she's very proud of her daughter. After Tomoe's 15th birthday, gave her an excruciatingly embarrassing talk about relationships, the details of which Tomoe has so far refused to reveal to any of her school friends. An old friend of Akemi's mother.
- Oda Shion - Tomoe's excessively perfect brother. He's kind, well-mannered, handsome, scarily well organised and well presented, keeps fit unlike his lazy sister, and even knows how to cook. He is also an idealist who is deeply concerned about the influence of the Yakuza, and believes that a career in law will best enable him to make a difference. Best friends with fellow Shibashi Public Highschool Student Youichi, and a friend of Hoshiko and Mizuki. Is attempting to court Kurosawa Ai, and has managed to impress her parents but not her.
- Oda Nobuhide - Tomoe's father works as a computer programmer. According to family legend, he became a programmer because he was unable to beat his younger brother Nobuyasu in shogi matches, and vowed to design a program that would be able to beat him. He did not succeed in this endeavour. Agreed to let Tomoe go to a private school for its Shogi program only on condition that she spend at least two hours every day studying Shogi, a condition she has complied with religiously. Participated in the 15th birthday relationship talk, where her behaviour was just as embarrassing to Tomoe as his wife's. It's generally considered within the family that Tomoe is something of a chip off the old block. Recently suffered a car accident at work.
- Rika Kenichi - father to Chizuru. A dedicated salaryman, he spends most of his time at work, and very little with his family -- and what time he spends is mostly focused on his beloved wife. He's mostly a non-entity in Chizuru's life.
- Rika Meiko - Chizuru's mother. Meiko is a kind and generous person, but she and her daughter grate on each other immensely. Meiko is very happy as a housewife -- she deeply loves her husband, and dotes on her daughter, she loves cooking and housekeeping, she is friends with most of the other housewives in the neighborhood, and she essentially has everything she needs to make her life complete. The trouble comes from the fact that she really doesn't see why any girl would want anything different from what she has, and so she has been trying to steer Chizuru out of what she sees as childish hobbies and teach her how to be a good wife and mother. She especially disapproves of Chizuru's obsession with math and science, as she feels that many men are turned off by a girl who's brainier than they are. She just wants her girl to find a good man and have a wonderful marriage -- which has put romance somewhere lower on Chizuru's list of priorities than dying of gangrene. Meiko has been helping a friend of hers, Mrs. Kirisame, who has been breaking down in the wake of her younger daughter's suicide, and has become something of a confidante for the elder daughter, Rasu-chan.
- Rika Suzume - Chizuru's younger sister. Suzume is a girl in elementary school, created ex nihilo by the World in order to provide Chizuru with a reason to ask for a permission slip to leave school early. Suffering from a rare blood disease, and expected to die within a few weeks 'in order to return the flow of the World to normal'. According to Aikireikinu, Suzume can only be saved by the power of a Wish.
- Kirisame Sakura - Amaterasu's mother, a high-strung woman. Had a nervous breakdown after Amaterasu's younger sister died.
 NPC Magical Girls
- Souka - Akemi's sword. She stays in sword or pendant form most of the time, and always refers to herself as 'This one'. A magical girl that cursed herself to be an object. Currently serving as a tool for Rika Chizuru.
- Pink-Chan - Moeblob, skittish. She runs away if approached by other Magical Girls, even if in the middle of fighting a Youma. Flies using pink energy wings on her ankles. Fights with what looks like a toy katana. Rarely heard to say anything more than a startled squeak or the name of her attacks: Heartbreaker (a flying thrust accompanied by a trail of pink hearts), or Kawaiidiscope (she holds her katana over her head with one hand, and pink beams of energy radiate off it, striking in all directions).
- Nadie Sombra - American veteran Magical Girl, acquaintance to Amaterasu. She's taciturn and uses twin magical six-shooters. She's already made a wish, but won't say what it is. Her finisher is '30 Pieces' - she tosses a handful of silver coins in the air and fires a shot from her right revolver. The bullet ricochets among the coins, sending them flying around like shrapnel. Seems to have the ability to silently teleport short distances. She's actually Asura Zero, architect of everything wrong with the World.
 Other NPCs
- Aikireikinu - A grey cat with black stripes. It has a perpetual toothy smile, usually the first thing seen when it materializes, two tails, one green eye, one yellow eye, and a (usually closed) third red eye that's disturbingly human like. It speaks telepathically with a voice like a middle aged woman who's had a few too many drinks and is always laughing at her own jokes. It comes from the world of peace and sunshine, on a mission to make the human world a more fun place. Mainly by awakening Magical Girls so they can fight the Youma that prey on humanity. It can materialize in more than one place at once, but each instance can only hold a small part of its total knowledge at any time. It's name is written with the kanji for 'love', 'pretty', and 'silk', despite it being a foreigner.
- Hatake Ran - Ran is the old groundskeeper who cares for the church Chise lives in.
- Neighbourhood Kids - Several of the younger children who live near Miyuki have come to view her as a big sister figure.
- Dr. Rouka Shingo - Shingo is Chise's attending physician, and something of a mentor to Chizuru.
- The boy who dated Amaterasu
- Mr. Ishida Hoshiko's A homeroom teacher.
- Tanaka Ryouji (多仲 良治)- Youichi's dad is a burly, good-natured Captain of the Shibaishi Fire Department who loves animals, children, and sports. He loves practical jokes, his favorite ones involving the use of his imposing stature to fool people who don't know him into thinking he is stern and humorless. He often feigns disappointment in his son for choosing not to date Yamada Hoshiko instead of her friend Mizuki, whose name is written (and almost pronounced) the same as his wife's.
- Tanaka Mitsuki (多仲 美月) - Youichi's mom is an alert, intelligent woman with a presence much larger than one might expect given her tiny stature. She is friendly and quick to smile, with a sense of humor even broader than her husband's. She jokes that she has to chat and laugh so much because she's required to be quiet all day at her job, working for the local branch of the Shibaishi Public Library. She loves Youichi's friends Hoshiko and Shion, ostensibly because she hopes his scholarly ways will transmit to her son via osmosis (but actually because she just likes him).
- yemSoru - (Eps 1-2) Driven by hunger, yemSoru stole the identities of an unknown number of the citizens of Shibaishi. Yukimura Kirika and Yamada Mizuki were saved from being totally consumed by their links to Magical Girls, and their investigation of what had happened to their friends led them to yemSoru, who has laired in the Water Treatment Plant. His Minions take the form of swarms of Mosquitoes. yemSoru is very powerful, but appears to lash out at random. Confronted by Akemi, Amaterasu, Chise, Hoshiko, Hotaru, Miyuki and Tomoe, with Aikireikinu and Chizuru observing. Ultimately defeated by a Team Attack of Miyuki and Tomoe. Akemi slew the last of its Minions. Left 3 Oblivion Seeds.