- 1 Introduction
- 2 Main Features
- 3 On Facebook
- 4 Current Version
- 5 Screenshot
- 6 Requirements
- 7 Version History
- 7.1 Version 1.8
- 7.2 Version 1.8.1
- 7.3 Version 1.8.0
- 7.4 Version 1.7
- 7.5 Version 1.7.5
- 7.6 Version 1.7.4
- 7.7 Version 1.7.3
- 7.8 Version 1.7.2
- 7.9 Version 1.7.1
- 7.10 Version 1.7.0
- 7.11 Version 1.6
- 7.12 Version 1.4
- 7.13 Version 1.3
- 7.14 Version 1.2
- 7.15 Version 1.0
Hey, everyone! Mortaneus here.
I've been running a 4e game for a while now, and I use my laptop as my GM screen.
As such, I've spent a decent amount of time examining the various digital assistant offerings out there. I've mainly been using Virtual Combat Cards, Masterplan, and OneNote to do what I want to do.
All are excellent offerings. However, none of them have exactly the feature set I want while running a fight. Since I prefer to fix rather than complain, I went about writing my own (being a programmer myself).
This is the result. Enjoy!
- Paste Monsters directly from the WotC Monster Builder using the Copy-to-Rich Text option
- Load PCs directly from Character Builder Files
- Shows full stat-blocks for every combatant on the main screen
- Automatically saves a library of every entered monster/PC to speed preparation
- Load and Save encounter rosters to save time at the table
- Tracks most combat data for the GM:
- Initiative order
- Hit points (including temporary)
- Power-expenditure (including recharge rolls)
- Daily Item Usage
- Lingering Effects
- Saving Throws
- Healing Surges
Small update before 1.8.3
- New effect preset: Damage Penalty
- Fixed: Status effects not disappearing correctly when source dies.
- Fixed: Extra healing surges now go away after a short rest, and will fully heal the pc if they have more surges than their max.
- Better handling of companions (during rests, and display on the secondary display)
- Monsters that are revived from death no longer still show as dead on the secondary display.
- Import monsters from compendium. This is a "sorta" import. There's no good way to try to import actual abilities from the compendium, because there are too many different formats. They've changed the display format several times, but not updated the older entries. What this does is pull in the important information: Name, Level, Role, Secondary Role, Hit Points, Experience, etc. Then pulls everything else in as a "note" which is displayed instead of the regular sheet. Works for pulling quick default monsters in, but isn't as featured as an actual monster created in the edit screen or imported from the old monster builder. ted from the old monster builder.
(accurate as of v1.7.4)
- Windows XP and later only
- Requires .NET Framework 3.5 or later (if you have the Character Builder or Monster Builder installed, you have this)
- Traits no longer display twice. They show up under Traits, where they're supposed to, and not at the bottom of the statblock.
- Death Saves now track properly until a short or extended rest.
- Action points now accumulate properly after Milestones (and go away at an extended rest)
- Support for Companion Characters
- Extra coloring for Companions and Traps in the Init List
- Added a coloring option that will show monsters on a white background instead of a red background, unless they're bloodied. This feature is off by default.
- Added the ability to modify the max healing surges (goes away at extended rest) -- This will allow the Blood Drinker Encounter Power to give a Vampire PC another healing surge.
- If the ongoing damage option is selected, and the combatant has an effect that contains the string "regen", a Regeneration popup reminder will come up at the beginning of their turn.
- Added a permanent effect type. This does NOT go away between fights. Minor drawback: It may only be removed while there is an ongoing encounter. I'll try to clean this up in the future.
- Status effects may now be hidden from the secondary display. There is a toggle on the Effect screen, as well as the preset effects section.
- Hidden characters and Status Effects show up in light grey text on the primary display instead of white text.
- Several minor fixes for the secondary display, as well as an updated HTML template that was given to me, that works a LOT better than the one included previously. (Thanks to Jeff P.)
And last but certainly not least:
- Added a Copy button to the Statblock Library. Will overwrite the old creature if you don't change either the name, level or one of the role pulldowns. Otherwise, copy monster. :)
- Secondary Display via any web browser (default port 9000).
- Heavily configurable Initiative Listing can be displayed on any device on the network (or anywhere, if you set up port forwarding on your router or firewall). Some configuration options can be set in the new Options > Configuration > Secondary Display screen, including the HTTP Port to listen on, whether or not to display hit point values for Heroes and/or NPCs, Inititave Value Display, Current Round Display.
- Look and Feel modifiable in the index.html file that is included, via the stylesheet.
- Display name for individual combatants can be changed by right-clicking on any combatant, or changing the name above the center panel.
- Individual Combatants can be hidden via the context menu, as well.
- Note: I am not completely happy with the webserver itself. It occasionally stops working, and occasionally has trouble stopping (both when stopped manually and when closing the program). I may have to rewrite it completely, but I wanted you all to be aware that I know it's not perfect.
- Support for Traps, Hazards and Puzzles.
- Rolls added for Blaster, Obstacle, Puzzle and Warder.
- Tab added to allow for Descriptions, as well as the Trap, Hazard and Puzzle lines of the statcard.
- Settings now persist from one use of the application to the next.
- Combatants who are Delayed will now automatically re-enter the initiative list in their old position, if they do not act before their position comes around again.
- Added AC, Fort, Reflex, and Will to the Initiave List panel, so defenses can be seen without switching combatants.
- Corrected Surge values for Dragonborn. Now adds their constitution modifier.
- Made the Initiative Tab the default, rather than Stats.
- Surprise Round is now off by default. It can be selected before combat in the Options menu.
- Auto-displaying of power descriptions is also now an optional setting (default Off). If on, it will auto-display the compendium entry of a power when clicked in the power list.
- Added the ability to right-click a power and select it as that combatant's "active stance". Only one can be set per combatant at a time, and the new one will overwrite the old. This can be done with Any power, as the character file doesn't distinguish stances from other powers.
- Leader class healing powers (class features, such as Healing Word, Healing Spirit, or Inspiring Word) now auto-duplicate or triplicate when you import. This adds multiples of the powers to be used during an encounter.
- Added a bit more information to the powers as they are imported for PCs.
- Added healing surge tracking. Note: Using the "Surge" button does not actually expend a surge.
- Adjusted the size minimums of the windows to fit mini PCs.
- Completely replaced the RTF Statblock windows with HTML displays, to allow an "authentic" statblock view.
- Added an embedded power-view panel. The power-view panel is the one in the bottom right-hand corner. It'll only work on player powers and items, and only after you log into your D&D Insider account (in the embedded window)
Minor bugfix update, until Character Builder adds export capabilities.
- Fixed the URLs not importing in powers that disappeared from 1.7.0 to 1.7.1
- Fixed issue of combatants dying during their own turn not triggering next turn properly.
This is primarily a bugfix release. Some items weren't wanting to import properly. There are a lot of features I want to add that I've not been able to yet. There are a couple of minor changes, though.
- Right-click -> Remove Fighter from Combat
- Right-click -> Marks -- This currently contains Mark until end of source's next turn and mark until end of encounter. I'm going to try to add some functionality for Striker marks in here, but each one behaves a little differently, like Assassin Shrouds.
- Badly formed monster powers in Adventure Tools could cause Combat Manager to crash. This isn't guaranteeing that they're all fixed, but I did fix a couple of glaring ones.
- Power Points for Psionic PCs that will work much like Action Points. These will import from the Character Builder file, and can also be added to any entry in the library. This may change in the future to not take up so much space in the Powers List.
- Ongoing damage pop-up. At the beginning of any turn that has an effect with the word "Ongoing" in it, it will pop up, reminding you to apply ongoing damage. This feature can be disabled in the Options.
- Fix equipment naming on import. Magic Weapons currently show as "Dagger Lifedrinker Weapon +1" or Leather Armor Magic Armor +1" These will now show as "Lifedrinker Dagger +1" or "Magic Leather Armor +1"
- Magic Equipment now shows in the Powers List, and can be disabled/enabled like other powers.
- Right-click > enable and right-click > disable for powers in the power list.
- Right-click > View Compendium Entry for powers and items on characters imported after 1.7.0. Only works if you're logged into your D&D Insider account.
- Copy initiative list to clipboard from the Encounter menu.
- Stopped the Short Rest from resetting action points.
- Added a Short Rest with Milestone that WILL reset action points.
Gee whiz, and I tohuhgt this would be hard to find out.
- Reworked Initiative and Damage tabs to be more distinctive
- Changed initiative and damage/heal entry boxes to be numeric up-down boxes
- Added 5 and +5 to damage/heal tab for fast values
- Added Surge and Maximum to damage/heal tab for fast values
- Removed Slay button to make room (just hit Max then Damage and it'll do the same thing)
- Added Feat line to Stat Block
- Healing Surge value will display in statblock for PCs
- Altered Ready functionality to conform to the rules (it doesn't remove from the initiative structure anymore, just marks as *Rdy*. This will clear when next turn starts, or is moved to start of list)
- Several overhauls and cleanups to 'Start of Turn' functionality
- Changing a statblock in the library will now update current combatants
- Changed 'Undo Turn' button to 'Back Up', and reworked functionality (still doesn't undo damage/healing dealt)
- Moved 'Remove Fighter' button to Initiative tab
- Removed 'Roll Initiatives' and 'Reset Encounter' buttons from main screen. They are menu options under the 'Combat' menu, and don't need to be front-and-center, since they're only accessed twice a fight.
Holy concsie data batman. Lol!
- Added automated saving throws (will prompt)
- Added automated power recharge (will prompt)
- Modified minimum window size to accommodate smaller desktop widths
- PCs will no longer drop to the 'Inactive' category, so that proper death save timing will be obvious.
- Fixed a crashing problem due to the new 'save notes' code.
- Effects will now automatically drop off targets if they are of the 'Until start/end' variety. (automatic power recharge, saving throws, etc are in the works)
- Changing the selection on the main list with the arrow keys now works
- Both Global and Individual notes are now saved with the encounter
- Now handles 'small font' and 'large font' format of new version of Monster Builder.
- Propertly imports skills (weren't being copied-to-RTF in previous MB)
- Properly imports and saves Immunities (weren't included in previous MB)
- Properly imports and saves Source book info (wasn't included in previous MB)
- Added functionality to Statblock display to show recharge as dice, as in standard statblocks
- Layout re-do of the Main screen
- Added Effect tracking (manual removal, currently)
- Added Power Usage tracking (also manual, for the moment)
- Added Global Notes field (not saved)
- Miscellaneous bug fixes
- Added prompt for required information on Statblock screen
- Modified tab-order on Statblock screen to account for PC checkbox.
reinforced with tdbtiis of supporting research, and a few of them suggest ways to take advantage of the new Facebook Page features. (For example tip #7: Like other pages as a
- Main Screen
- Rewrote Initiative List logic for greater consistency
- Modified XP display on Initiative list to show XP/Lvl for 5 PCs if no PCs present in list
- Added 'Inactive' section to initiative list
- Added popup-tooltips to many items
- Made 'Load Encounter' clear current encounter first, and added 'Import Encounter' to load without clearing
- Modified Reserve group to sort PCs above NPCs
- Modified HP display to show HP even on inactive targets
- Library Screen
- Added new filter to Library Window for Role
- Added edit message to prevent overwrite of other entries when changing names
- Moved PCs to top of list by adding *'s before their names
- Fixed multiselect problem between main list and add list
- Placed 'Add to Battle' buttons on top of both lists for ease of use
- Statblock Screen
- Added PC checkbox linked to 'Hero' option on Role dropdown
There is a critical shrtoage of informative articles like this.
- Original Public Release