Among the diverse realms that battle and bounce off Chaos is a section of porous realms called the Lands of Flux and Shadow. Millions of worlds at various levels of technology and sophistication have interlocking paths and communication. Intershadow Commerce, tourism, and warfare are common. In amongst these shadows is the collection of realms called the Dufirtrusa. It is a series of diversely interlocking realms of beings able to channel great powers of shadow and the elements. In their own realms they live in various manners as delights their kind. And their delights vary from perverse to sublime.
One thing is that they are in a nexus of power that allows them to be summoned to places beyond their realms, and make bargains to trade power for powers. They can be bound or used willingly under the terms of detailed agreements or bound by force.
The Dufirosim are regularly summoned from their native realms to millions of other realms, including Chaos where they are often bound involuntarily.
- It should also be clearly noted that as a race, the Dufirosim are not inherently good or evil any more then most races in shadow. Considerations of Good or Evil are only applicable individually as in many other races. While, greedy, arrogant, and careful of their reputation, the majority of the Dufirosm are generally benevolent.
- 1 Races of the Dufirosm
- 2 Powers and Binding
- 3 Methods of Propagation
- 4 Advancement & the Race Ritual
- 4.1 Advancement
- 4.2 Paths
- 4.3 Examples of Path
- 4.4 Examples: Members of the Circle of the Dufirosm
- 5 Dufiro Bands and Associations
Races of the Dufirosm
The races of the Dufirosm are varied and change often. What is below is a sampling of the major races and transitions among the species. These are examples of what might be considered major stereotypes.
Elementals live in realms of purish energy with little or simple intelligence. From animal to low human intelligence. They gain intelligence and advancement to Spirit form by existing for periods under bound service or trading their efforts in their elemental forms. This is why they are easy to bind. As they gain separate sentience, away from their elemental power they gain in their abilities.
The children of Dufiro by many different races on occasion gain elemental powers. If they gain enough power they may transition to the elemental form.
|Fire: Start fires in many environments. Fire attacks.||Earth: Convert rock to soil. Refresh Soil. Rock attacks||Air: Purify Air to desired degree. Air attacks.||Water: Purify Water. Summon Water. Water attacks.||Change: Transition from one item to another. Natural shapeshifters.|
The above are major elementals but numerous minor ones exist. Many can minor ones function in limit shadow ranges according to local environmental needs and effects.
|Scent: Glories in the various scents in nature.||Sound: Variations in noise||Mix: These rare Elementals are attracted to combing new alloys, most of which can not maintain form after their absence||Hue: These Elementals can effect colors in many different ways and is nearly always a short lived race that develops into spirits of Blending, Paper, Color, or Illusion||Flux: These extremely rare elementals rejoice in the diversity of change and Flux in the nature of shadows near Chaos. They are nearly always elemental forms that transition into pirits of Change on the way to Avasa of Shifter and Masoja of Shifter|
These creatures have gained sufficient awareness to have needs and greeds. As they advance the experiences that developed them from elementals to spirits gave them passions. These passions are expressed in their differentiations. They develop singularly for a time but when they develop they may shift to other spirit forms many times before rising to the Avasa Dufirosim. Spirits often are more obsessed with their singular devotion then Avasa or Masoja are because they have a focus without greed or ambition.
- Spirit races as elementary and middle schoolers.
|Cleanliness: Experts in purification, elimination of dirt, rust, mold, paints, and dyes.||Combat: Experts in one on one combat. Armors, weapon-smiths, fletchers. Most Combat Spirits have ambitions to high orders.||Defense:||Speed:||Growth:|
|Blending: Many Blending Spirits are chefs and brewers.||Guard:Often bound to items to provide security and seal items against entrance. Boxes, chests, doors.||Rust or Rot: These spirits are usually malicious, serving a term in punishment. Everything they deal with decays, rots, molds, fades or crumbles. Few choose to be Spirits of Rot||Song: Experts in music and performance||Paper:Experts in the art of writing. Also origami. Paper Spirits often copy summoning ritual books for Spirits and Elemental.|
|Earth:||Air:||Water:||Fire:||IllusionExperts in the creation of imagery.|
|Change: Spirits of change are shapeshifters.|
The Avasa are the first evolution of the Dufirosim to gain the ability to resist binding, and therefore negotiate for better returns. They trade their racial powers for whatever their heart desires.
- Ava Dufiro equate to High School and College levels of maturity.
|Cleanliness: Clean objects, areas, or creatures, to a high level of excellence.||Conflict: Specialize in creating anger or competition as well as participating in fighting and combat.||Guard: Specialize in deflection, distraction, and protection.||Speed: Speed change and advancement.||Growth: Make plants grow faster or slower. They are able to ferment and distill.|
|Blending: Experts in alloying, sewing, mixing, brewing and other forms of mixing. Many Blenders are painters and trump artists.||Colors: Artists in colors and how to use them, process them, replicate them and imprint them. Most Color Avas are painters||Fire: Heat, fire, burning nonburnable things, melting, boiling, cooking. Many Fire Avas are chefs and BBQ experts.||Ice: Freeze, chill, cool, temperature control. Area of effect is highly variable.||Water: Moisten, wet, dry, and attack with water. Can cause water to leave living bodies. Can dehydrate. Can rehydrate.|
|Knowledge: Scholars. Consumers of Libraries. Can create books, tomes, spell scrolls. Creator of Spell Scrolls for use by non-mages. Usually were Paper Spirits. Often copy Avasa & Spirit summoning tomes.||Rage: Anger, woe, a AvaD of Rage can restore forgotten memories, inflict anger in others, can eliminate anger. A necessary Race for advancement.||Shifter: Shapeshifters, replicators, Act as Ushfa||Vision: Vision AvaD can remember and project the experiences of others. Act as oracles.||Truth: Tellers of Tales, Sage of Truth, Lie Detectors. A Truth AvaD can convince others of untrue things but its considered a betrayal of race.|
|Combat : Combat Masoja are among the greatest warriors in the realms of the Dufirosm. Martial specialists.||Guard : Guard AvaM have great combat powers in the protection of the client. They are also experts in fortifications and defensive magics.||Health :Mighty healers. Bound create powerful healing items.||Strength||Growth|
|Rage||Death||Life||Knowledge: Among the great scholars of the Dufiro. Great collectors of tomes and written work. Often copy Summoning Tomes. often create tomes for new Masajoa.||Shifter|
|Warfare||Binding||Time||Vision Able to tap into the forces of the universe to display visions of the past and future.||Wisher|
Powers and Binding
Each race has powers according to their kind, their experiences, and their racial Paths. They are testy, opinionated, arrogant, and greedy.
- Any race of Dufiro-Elemental to Masoja Dufiro- are able to return to their home realm if freed from their binding by destruction of the bound artifact or compilation of the pact. Holding them against their will in either case is extraordinarily difficult. A Dufiro fighting for its freedom may attract other of its familiarity, race, or proximity to aid it. If a Dufiro completes it binding pact it may or may not be willing to renegotiate on the spot but they may require a new summoning.
- Dufiro bound willingly bargain for specific powers to be used in particular ways. They can manifest small or mighty powers when willingly bound.
- Dufiro bound unwillingly deliver far greater powers but at a price in bitterness toward their binder.
- Artifacts or Dufiro who are willingly bound will behave unpredictably if their bindings are destroyed. Willing bindings imply an agreement was broken and may remain in battle and defend their binder and their agreement. They may flee to their home realms.
- Elementals are generally without ambition and are bound unwillingly. When the item they are bound to is destroyed they instantly return to their home world.
- Spirits are easy to bind, as are Elementals, whoever if the item they are bound to is destroyed they will take a quick attempt to harm their former master before fleeing to their home realms.
- A common property bargained for with a binding for Ava and Masajoa Dufiro is to provide permanence and structural strength, up to indestructibility, to otherwise fragile items.
Summoning, Names and Tomes
Each Dufiro has true name. From the youngest of elemental to the most ancient of Masoja they all have a name of power by which they can be summoned, called, and bound. These names and the rituals to summon them are written into intrinsically non-magical tomes. Since the increase of power and prestige is based on experience the Dufiro desire to be summoned though the details are myriad. Most tomes include the ritual circle that will create a barrier to harm the summoner and protect the dufiro from harm. The details in this are vast.
- Personal Name: This is a name used conversationally and when used the individual doe not know.
- Calling Name: This is a relatively short name that will attract the attention of the dufiro across vast distances. It is like requesting a meeting. The Dufiro is not compelled to answer. It is considered rude amongst dufiro to use the calling name casually since once spoken the dufiro's attention is briefly taken. This leads to what non-dufiro races might consider a nervous tick, as the dufiro might pause briefly in a conversation when the name is spoken millions of shadows away.
- Summoning Name: This is a main portion of a Dufiro's book. When spoken correctly it can summon the Dufiro into the presence of the speaker. Much care is taken by summoners to create circles of protect.
- Binding Name: This name longer then the summoning name but is nearly always included in the tome. It is the Name that must be used to bind the dufiro to an item. If used after a bargain has been struck the reading of the name is simple. If the binding is unwilling the dufiro will fight it from its summoning circle and it often is a battle of wills, psyche, and powers, to bind the dufiro.
The writing of tomes is a vitally important cultural element of Dufiro society. If the crux of Dufiro society iis advancement then the tome is the sign a dufiro wishes to advance. A ritualist with the tome may study it till they can intone the name perfectly to summon the dufiro. A dufiro will have a summoning book for each race though summoning a dufiro with a tome for a lesser race of its path is dangerous. Think of a Tome as their business card. Think of the tome as a resume.
A tome will include many things. It will include all 4 of their names. It will include the powers one might gain by binding them. It will include their adventures. It includes their unbound powers. It may inclue their equipment. It may include food and drink prefferances and preferences of many different kinds as clues for what to offer them.
As can be seen the races of the Dufiro are potent creatures as allies, enemies, bound willingly or unwillingly. Their reputation is usually very important since it may lay heavily on their chances of being allowed a Race ritual. It reflects on their offspring and attracting mates. It may effect their admittance to various associations.
Lastly, it tells how reliable and trustworthy they are. Threatening a Dufiro's reputation is a serious matter.
Methods of Propagation
Dufiro breed in a variety of methods.
Dufiro who breed among themselves generate an Elemental offspring. The form will be one of the base elemental forms of the breeding pair. Usually these are motivated by one or both parents to transition quickly to other forms, usually spirit forms. However, in some unions, of two through 4 parents, their may be a desre for the child to experience several elemental forms as a basis for their future developments.
Some Dufirosim may generate sufficient elemental energy to separate enough to create an elemental form. This form of budding creates an elemental form that the parent once passed through though usually they have little control over which form unless the budding is managed by Avavsa or Masoja skilled in such things.
Dufiro may copulate with a host form which will create one of two outcomes. Either a full elemental form, or a native form of the mother with a deep connection to the element form of the father.
- If the resultant form fully generates as a Elemental it begins its Path as normal.
- If the resultant form does not generate initially and retains the maternal form it will have an affiliation to the elemental form of the father. This connection to the elemental for may pass down many generations, each birth starting with a different resonance to the element, usually starting near the level of the parent. In this manner the line of a Dufiro/Native offspring gains elemental connection through its interaction with its element.
An elemental connection may manifest in many ways in those not raised to the elemental race. Skills at sculpting, dowsing, localized air purification, are just examples.
Interbreeding, even over thousands of years, can contribute minute amounts of elemental energy till eventually a member of the line manifests. Three examples of this method are the cases of Dowser of Veksvale, Crees of Iron,Cuso of Trendle Establishment and Buckle of Dowten
Dowser of Veksvale was the offspring of a Dufiro of a Masoja Dufirosim of Water. The line was unknown to the Dufiro as the initial coupling was casual. Over several thousand years the line gathered elemental energy, manifesting as a fondness for water occupations, till eventually enough energy was retained by the Child Dowser to allow his powers to rise to the level of an infant Water Elemental.
Crees of Iron
Crees of Iron was a warrior in a long line of warriors with the infusion of elemental powers of earth gained by inclusion of a Masoja Dufirosim of Strength.
Cuso of Trendle
Cuso of Trendle was the great-grandson of a Dufiro of an Avasa Dufiro of Fire. He and his father, and grandfather were all chefs at Oberon's Fire. Cuso, when in his 70's fell into the great fire of Oberon's Fire. Immersion in the elemental fire generated by the Jewel of Judgment brought Cuso into the Elementals of Fire race, and at a great enough level that he was almost immediately attended by Dufiro in the Paths of Fire.
Buckle of Dowten
Buckle of Dowten was one in a long line established by a Masoja Dufirosim of Change. The line was over 500 years old and had long been famous alchemists and sorcerers although Buckle was not raised by the well-known public family but was rather a unexpected illegitimate offspring.
Inhabitation or Possession
If a creature is inhabited by a Avasa or Masoja and then participates in a Ritual of Inclusion, the creatures attains the Race initiated. This method is rare and a source of anger by many of the Dufiro. Nur al Din El musifar is an example of this kind of propagation. This is not always a voluntary event.
Advancement & the Race Ritual
When dealing with Dufiro vital aspects to understand is their Path and their current Race.
- Elementals may be elevated to Spirit Race. They have no ability to advance themselves. They are a larval stage for Dufirosim. Once an elemental achieves Spirit Race. They may never have more then two races unless one of the 4 elemental is transformed to a Change Elemental.
- All other Dufiro may apply to the Ritual of Race at any time of their choosing though their success is not assured. Having failed a ritual it is unlikely the attempt will be made again directly to the same race.
- Rituals are meant to display dedication to embracing the new race.
Advancement is the crux of Dufiro society. Nearly everything they do is aimed at advancement. Gaining new powers. Learning new skills. Gaining powerful artifacts. Gaining powerful allies and patrons. Creating a power base of loyal followers.
When a dufiro bargains, either for themselves, and ally, or an underling, it is to gain aspects that will make them a more attractive candidate for a new Race. Once the Dufiro applies to a new race they are granted the right to attempt a race ritual. Who approves the attempt varies by species.
- Each Dufiro has had its own life path toward power. Each has unique experiences. The Life Path of A Dufiro can be compared to scholastic advancement. They start as Elementals-kindergartners. Enter Spirit races as elementary and middle schoolers. Ava Dufiro equate to High School and College. Masoja Dufirosm equal graduate and doctorate levels.
The more races in one's path the more powerful the dufiro is likely to be. Once they move from elemental to spirit, spirit to Avasa, Avasa to Masoja, it is highly unlikely they will add lower races though it is not impossible.
Examples of Path
- Uzgata: Elemental of Fire,Spirit of Combat , Spirit of Fire , Spirit of Rot, Avasa Dufiro of Rage, Avasa Dufiro of Conflict, Avasa Dufiro of Fire:, Masoja of War, Masaja of Rage
Examples: Members of the Circle of the Dufirosm
The Circle, as its called, is a body of Dufiro that is something like a ruling council though without much authority except to appeal to a dufiro's current race for judgement of grievances. There is a flexible number of members though every race has at least one officially in the Circle. There may be others as well for various reasons.
Druntranic-Masoja of Warfare
Born a Fire Elemental. Joined Defense first, followed by Combat, Speed and Growth, Took the Ava Ritual of Defense, followed by Fire, and Conflict. Failed Speed. Took Cleanliness. Applied to the Masoja Dufiro of Defense and was denied. Applied to Masoja Combat and was accepted and completed the Ritual. Took the Ritual of Rage. Failed the ritual of Shifter. Took the ritual of Warfare.
- a warrior of renown he fought as a free agent in the Battle of Patternfall. Prince Bleys met him along his route to the battle and after a casual conversation Druntranic joined him. Hated in Chaos for the perceived betrayal, he has spent much of his time in the Regor region.
Resiki-Masoja of Knowledge
Born a Water Elemental, transitioned to the Change Elementals. Joined Cleanliness, followed by Blending, Defense,aper, and Song. Applied to the Ava Dufiro of Cleanliness and took the Ritual. Took ritual of Knowledge, Vision, Defense, and finally Truth. Offered Rituals of Defense, Warfare, and Vision. Took the Ritual of Defense, followed by Vision, Time, Life, and lastly Knowledge.
- A seer and oracle of the Dufirosm.
- Racial Representative
Akafar-Masoja of Warfare
Born a Earth Elemental. Joined the spirit rituals of Combat, then Defense, Rust, and Speed. Offered the Ava Dufiro Conflict and Defense. Took the ritual of Conflict, then Defense, then Rage. Took the Masoja Dufirosim Ritual of Rage. Followed by Death, Combat, Defense, and finally Warfare.
- A dangerous and brutal Warrior Dufirosm.
- Racial Representative
Breasda-Masoja of Wisher
Born Change Elemental. Raised to Cleanliness, followed by Paper and Blending. Took the Ava D Ritual of Cleanliness, followed by Truth, Knowledge, Vision, and finally Blending. Took the Masoja Ritual of Knowledge, Time, Health, Vision, and finally Wisher.
- A incorruptibly good creature with the a powerful Wishing energy. Considered by many the leader of the Dufirosm but denies such office. He is however generally respected or deeply feared.
- Racial Representative
Trusl-Masoja of Water
Born a Water Elemental. Brought into the Spirits of Cleanliness, followed by Growth, Song, Paper, and Blending. Invited to take the Ava ritual of Cleanliness. Took the Growth, Water, and Blending. Finally Speed. Invited to take the Masoja Ritual of Change. Followed by Earth, Growth, Binding, and finally Water.
- Trusl is one of the finest brewers in all of shadow, a mistress of balancing tastes and flavors. Powerful in effecting change and aging for mature tastes.
- Racial Representative
- there is a long standing joke that if Trusl lost the Racial Representative seat for Masoja of Water, that he would be granted a full seat on his own since he brings the best drinks of his craft to Circle meetings.
Tripsina-"Trip"-Masoja of Health
Born an Elemental of Earth, Transitioned to Change. Raised to Rust, followed by Growth. Applied to Ava D of Ritual of growth and denied. Failed Ritual of Water. Completed Ritual of Shifter. Followed by Growth, Water and Colors. Invited to take the Masoja Ritual of Growth, Took the rituals of Earth, Water, knowledge, and Health.
- Trip is hated by the warrior dufirosim as a devoted pacifist. He is one of the finest gardeners in Shadow. Specializing in small plants, he is able to manage continental sizes of plant growth. Nearly worshiped by animal life.
- Racial Representative
Nur al Din El musifar-Dufrieanalat-Masoja of Life
Born a human on the world of Tosa. Attained the ranks of thrice Crowned Bard. A long time bargainer and a extremely well-respected friend of the Dufirosm. A High Lord in a Shade of Chaos. During a extinction level event involving most the Dufirosim realms Nur Ed Din managed to save the realms and help rebuild after the destruction. As reward he was inhabited by a Shifter Masoja and initiated into the Masoja Dufiro of Life. Granted powers from each of the races from Spirit to Masoja. When the forces in his Chaos ousted him from his lordship he relocated to the Dufirosm realms and was invited to join the council.
- Granted membership for orchestrating the salvation of the Dufiro.
Dufiro Bands and Associations
In a race comprised of so many diverse elements and with such a preponderance of trade, barter,, binding agreements both willing and unwilling, and with so many ruling bodies among each distinct race its understandable that groups and individuals would assemble for mutual benefits. Patronage is an extremely common practice among the Dufiro. Advancement being so tied to merit and experience groups band together for many reasons. It would be impossible to list the number of such associations for such a large population. Rituals and abilities are shared, traded, stolen, and created in these groups with hte higher ups usually understanding that the advancement of even the lowest of their members brings prestige, power and opportunity to all.
Below are listed a few well know groups and some examples of smaller groups. Some terminology should be clarified. Many of these terms are interchangeable but some refer to specific arrangements among members.
- Band: A group assembled with the idea of mutual assistance and defense in promoting the advancement of all members. Usually small groups. Often military.
- Pack:Usually a small subset of a large group that acts as a unified body for particular services. Most often as War packs or Growing packs.
- Assemblage: A group assembled for mutual advancement of all members. usually a large or regional group.
- Knot: Usually a small band that participates in activities together.
- Tower: This type of group is lead by a ruling clique or individual and has a strictly structured form for the members below the ruling body. Usually a large group.
- Fealty band: This is a gathering of Dufiro, under a powerful individual. Usually a warrior band.
- Chamber:Usually a Regional body for anyone native to the region. This kind of group can be appealed to if a member has issues in whatever other groups they participate.
- Clan: Often initially a regional group many clans become quite large spanning many worlds and many races. Most clans become umbrella for many smaller groups. Some Clans are very influential across the Dufirosm worlds.
- Clique:Usually a small group that controls or rules a larger group.
- Cabal: A arrangement between individuals irregardless of membership in other groups
- Combine: An dissociation of groups often crossing over other group boundaries.
- Party: A party is usually a wide ranging association of other groups with a common goal.
- The Regalada Band:This is a Warband lead by three Dufiro. Raga of Warfare, Dalquis of Rage, and Galada of Strength. They have a variety of Masajoa and Avasa Dufiro who run individual Packs. A common Masoja Pack might be led by a Masoja of Warfare, and include 3 Avasas of conflict, a Avasa of Rage, a number of Combat Spirits, a number of fire or air spirits, some staff spirits like Cleanliness, blending and Guard. A large number of elementals.