E&E Variant Rules
E&E Variant Rules
- All Heroes.
- Level 1. Take a general gift. Take a class gift. Gain 1 effort
- Every level after, take a class or general gift. Gain 1 effort/level.
- Taking gifts from other classes is possible on even levels for fighters and rogues and every third level for mages.
All heroes have a fray die. It is the maximum amount of incidental damage they can deal in a combat whilst concentrating on other things (including other opponents).
- MU types D4 Fray die, usable on any HD, 1" per level.
- Thief types D6 Fray die, doubled on surprise attacks. Class Gift at L1 - Climbing.
- Fighter types D8 Fray die, add str bonus. Extra Class Gift at L4,L8,L12.+1 effort at 1st lvl.
MU's have a d4 fray die. They are always considered armed and can use this on one opponent of any level.
MU's (and others) can take apprentice, adept and master levels in these seven arts. Inner Alchemy (Alchemists and makers of golems and new living things)
- Apprentice : Find components, Alchemical Preparations, Find magical components, Magical Preparations.
- The minor arts
- Materia Natura (find components). Allows the complete understanding of any natural material and it’s makeup. Useful for noting and identifying poisons, venoms, acids and the like, determining edibility of substances, components of alloys and blends and the safety and uses of herbs and the like. (3/day, Base 60)
- Minor preparations. These are nonmagical formula that allow the alchemist to recreate a limited range of spell-like effects (up to the 4th level) or to produce poisons, antidotes, sleeping draughts, flash-powder and the like.
Each formula is stored in a Codex takes 1 week/level of effect to research. Concoctions take 1d6 hours, produce one ‘dose’ per level of the alchemist, and last 1d4 days(+1 on this role for adepts, +2 for masters). A point of effort can be committed to extend the life of any batch. (3/day, base 60)
- Materia Magica (find magical components) allows the understanding and identifying of magical potions and items, including any identifying source of magic (divine miracle, alchemy, wizardry, ect)(2/day, base 50)
- Magic Preparations. The alchemist can create magic potions. formula can be researched and added to the Codex, or divined from acquired potions. Concoctions take 1d6 hours per dose (2 doses at adept, 3 at master) and last 1d4 years( days per level on an unsuccessful roll). (2/day, base 50).
- Adept: Transmute Matter, Transcend Energy.
- Master: Mutate Life-form.
- Dragonmastery (The Inner Dragon, the first primal life)
- Apprentice: Protection form dragons, Dragon tooth, Dragon eye, Dragon paw, Dragon scale, dragon wing.
- Adept: Dragon Breath, Dragon Might.
- Master: High Mastery of Dragons.
- Elementalist (Mastery of the primal forms)
- Apprentice: Protection from elements, Minor conjuration.
- Adept: Major conjuration, full elemental control.
- Master: Metamorphosis
- Illusionist (Glamer weavers)
- Apprentice: Hypnosis, Dream alteration.
- Adept: Delerium Tremens, Shadow reality.
- Master: Dreamlands.
- Apprentice: Protection from undead, control undead.
- Adept: Create Undead, raise dead.
- Mastery: Attain Lichdom.
RuneMastery (Naming magic and words of power)
- Apprentice: Runes of Matter, Runes of life.
- The runes of form.
- The runemaster may research the true name of specific nonliving substances (time for each as a 1st lvl spell) such as gold, iron, granite, dead wood, sand, water, glass, leather, copper, sandstones, etc. Once known, the true name may be used to reshape any of that matter within a 1' radius per level. This is made permanent or reforms after 1d4 (+1 adept,+2 master) rounds. (60% base, base 4/day uses)
- The Runes of life
- The runemaster can seek control or friendship with specific types of living creatures (wolf, grey ooze, horse, owlbear, owl, bear, etc). Each animal type must be researched (as 2nd lvl spell). Once known, the true name may be used to cause a charm-like effect, with the added bonus that the caster can also sense what the creatures senses. Charms last 1-4 days (+1 adept,+2 master) or 1-4 turns on a failure. (50% base, 3/day)
The third secret craft available in Tizuns library. I thought I should mention that there'll be a few pre-written formulas for these crafts in his books, so you don't start from scratch.
- Adept: runes of power, runes of magic.
- Mastery: Truename.
- Witchcraft (Magic of the Moon and nature)
- Apprentice: Brews and Philters, Silver tongue, Doll curse, Witches Charm.
- Adept: spellbinding, witches curse, shapechange.
- Master: ultimate possession.
Thieves and fighters have a fray die of D6 and D8 respectively. This is the maximum damage they can do, which is based on their fray die or weapon, whichever is lower. Unarmed fray die are a d4. This fray die can only be used on an opponent of equal or lower hd.
Edit: I should have mentioned that I'm keeping the B/X hp system (with a minor change - Your 1st level hp are maxed and become your Wounds. Any additional hp gained by level are hero points. They will be treated the same as ordinary hp's except they recover a lot quicker (an hour tops). CLW fixes 2-7 wound points and restores 2-7 x level in hp.