Open Game Systems
> A more up-to-date list of open games can be found on the Year of Living Free wiki.
Definition: What is an Open License?
This page operates under the following definition:
"An Open License allows the free and perpetual re-use of original material by anybody willing to follow the restrictions of said license, without an explicit contact or negotiation between original author and licensee."
In other words, if something is available under an open license, I can use and re-use it for free, as long as I respect the restrictions laid out in the license, without having to contact the author.
Retro-clones are new games that are compatible with games that are now out-of-print. They are listed separately to the other games.
The following systems are available under an open license and are thus free to use in your own publications. (Though with varying restriction on the use of the material.)
Other Systems Using OGL
- Iridium System
- Open Core Roleplaying System - uses Open Content from several OGL systems
- Runic, Runequest RPG
- Spellchrome (OGL and Non-Open Game Content)
Open Game License and Trademark License
These games release their material as Open Game Content, but also provide another, more restricted, license to allow publishers to refer to Product Identity.
- Mutant Future (OGL and Mutant Future Trademark License)
- GORE (OGL and GORE License)
- FUDGE (OGL and FUDGE System Trademark License; also under its own license)
- vsM Engine
Creative Commons Licenses
- 6d6 RPG 6d6 Fireball (Attribution-Share Alike)
- Eclipse Phase Posthuman Studios (Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License)
- Drowning and Falling (Attribution/Non-Commercial/Share-Alike)
- The Shadow of Yesterday (Attribution)
- Donjon (Attribution/Share-Alike)
- Wushu Open (Attribution)
- Wushu Open Reloaded (Attribution/Share-Alike)
- Shadows (Attribution)
- Myriad (Attribution)
- Organic Rules Components (ORC) (Attribution)
- Violence (Attribution/Non-Commercial/Share-Alike)
- Star Wreck (Attribution/Non-Commercial/Share-Alike)
- Noteworthy (Attribution/Non-Commercial)
- Executive Decision (Attribution/Non-Commercial/Share-Alike; direct link to file)
- ...in Spaaace! (Attribution/Non-Commercial/Share-Alike; direct link to file)
- Sufficiently Advanced (Attribution/Non-Commercial)
- Treasure (Attribution/Non-Commercial/Share-Alike)
- The Simple Game System (TSGS) (Attribution/SHare-Alike)
- Danger Patrol (Attribution/Non-Commercial/Share-Alike)
- Lady Blackbird (Attribution Non-Commercial Share-Alike)
- Iliamna Unknown (Attribution Non-Commercial Share-Alike)
- Saga, a rules-light narrative universal system (Attribution/Non-Commercial/Share-Alike)
- Jumpers, a multi-dimensional, multi-genre sci-fi RPG (Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License)
- Gods and Monsters (GNU Free Documentation License)
- Circe (GNU Free Documentation Licence and GNU General Public License)
- Fringe (OpenOffice Writer format) (GNU General Public License)
- Dominion Rules (Dominion Rules Licence)
- Action! System (Action! System Open License)
- Active Exploits (Active Exploits Distribution and Expansion License)
- Redbox Hack (view wiki) (license unclear; readers told to "do what you'd like with the thing").
- Dungeons and Dragons Fourth Edition (Game System License)
- Fire and Sword 4E (Free Art License)
- 4C System for the Marvel RPG (download) (Public Domain; Direct link to file)
- The Far Towers (Public Domain)
- Hoard 1st Edition and Microcosm (Public Domain)
- Theonosis, an open fantasy setting - The Open Setting License allows the setting to be used with any game.