--Sara Preston Smith--
Sara Smith has survived the Bliss into "old age" by virtue of being so devastated by the Blissing of her "husband and Anchor," as she put it, that she became insomniac: she gets an hour of sleep a night (on a good night), and spends a great deal of time awake, pining for the both of them and/or comforting herself with Archer's available body.
She raises all the kids as her own (with the possible exception of Archer Lin, who she's having what she considers to be contact-comfort sex with. She does feel significantly more protective of Ariana (her child by Josh, who was white) and Jon (her child by anchor Nathan Sinclair, who was black).
As it became apparent that they were Blissing, Josh and Nathan grew more argumentative with each other and Sara, each of them wanting to monopolize Sara's time during thier final moments. Perhaps it's more this that scarred Sara into insomnia than anything else. The fact that Josh doted on Ariana and was at best cordial with Jon, and vice versa, really didn't help matters.
Sara has long blond hair, blue eyes, a fair complexion and a propensity for dark colored dresses: green, purple, burgundy, black. She either comes off as a Zen Buddhist hippie or an elegant, mournful widow, depending on her mood. Sometimes inbetween.
She feels that Archer initiated thier budding sexual relationship. Whether Archer feels the same way or not is up to his player.
She has (what she beleives to be) a biblical quote pinned to her wall (It's actually a quote from a kung-fu movie, but don't tell her that):
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children."
...She also agrees with the coda I left off. Anyone who has seen Pulp Fiction will recognize it. When one of her kids gets hurt, the gloves are off. When it's Jon or Ariana, RUN.
- Archer Lin: 5 / 1. "...I saw in his eyes the same loneliness I feel, on the coldest nights, in my cold bed. After seeing that, how could I refuse his small request?"
- Jon Derek Smith: 3 / 2. "My precious baby boy. He's going to hurt himself badly at this rate... didn't Casey's death teach him anything?" *sigh*
- Ariana Smith: 3 / 3. "...it's a game to her, where she gets to be a magical girl who defeats the forces of darkness with the power of love. She is truly my daughter. Maybe that's why I'm so frightened for her."
- Noah C Porter: 2 / 2. *SIGHS* "He's suffered so much, and now he's going to suffer more. At least he understands the deadly seriousness of this war."
Post First Night: Red Alert
- Ariana Smith: Stress Relief. "Her first taste of combat, and she fights with bravery. Her first taste of love, and she realizes both the terror and the beauty of it. Oh, Dearheart. I shouldn't have doubted you."
- Archer Lin: Trust Building. "...I need him. Good lord, I'm turning into James, but I need him."
Back to ChildrenOfChildren?