Formerly the IAV Pericles, a Tohoku Class Cruiser, Pericles was transferred to private control during the civil unrest in exchange for a refueling deal with YouGo industries. The deal required the new owner to forfeit its weaponry, but during the transition, the Long Silence occurred. The Director of the Station, Samuels, chose to keep the weaponry, and has held off naval involvement without incident.
Pericles Station is approximately 2/3 the trip between Blue Sun and White Sun (sitting in the LaGrange point).
Pericles Station is an expensive stop over for most ships, but it boasts considerable services and security. In addition, many ships are not prepared for the long journey from the Core to Blue Sun, and so the stop over is necessary.
- Expect a 25% cost increase for any goods or services on Pericles Station (20 credits/1000tons Docking fee)
Debtor Injunction - Persons owing money to the Station, or a registered business on the station, may find themselves unable to leave the station. A Debtor Injunction prohibits the person from booking passage or leaving the station until the obligation is met. Those without means to pay for basic life support (room and board) are moved to settlement sector in the lower decks (the Marina), and prohibited from use of the promenade, hangar and certain other regions of the station, until their debt is paid. The station maintains a staff dedicated to helping the Debtors resolve their status, pay off their obligations, and find work.
- Many people who fled the Core during the recent chaos came to Pericles Station hoping to find passage to a colony in Blue Sun. Here they ran up debts (lodging, hospital, etc..) and now find themselves below decks in the Marina.
Places of Note
- The Asclepeion - Hospital - it is a for profit hospital, but it also serves those who can't afford to pay. It does this in part through charities and other means. Dr. June Carpenter, the Chief Medical Officer has been trying to lure high paying clients to offset some of the costs but it is slow going.
- The Marina is a section of the ship of Refugees from the Core. This is a large section of former Marines barracks and shops, with makeshift bunks, and cooking equipment in place of the stuff they used to have. People with Debtor's Injunctions cannot leave the station until they'e paid their bills, and so eke out a life in the Marina. Many people in the Marina get by with low paying service jobs, small time crime, and recycling.
- The Hangar is the entrance to the sort of high end of Pericles.
- The Loading is a supply and fuel oriented docking center that serves the "Lower Decks"
- The Promenade is the retooled civil support center. It is now an area of shops and services serving travelers.
- The Travelers’ Aide Society is a sort of Chamber of Commerce between Blue Sun and those wishing to do business there.
- The Embassy is a section of the station leased out to representatives of the Alliance. Currently it is informal, and the people there are visitors. Many believe that Alliance Spies work there.
Station Armed Security (SAS) runs basic shipboard security, they are independently controlled by the Director, but are paid by You-Go. In addition to SAS, the station has several unofficial security groups:
- Space weaponry (ship's weapons, fighters and defenses) is led by the PDF. Their commander is Cmdr. Evan Rowe a war vet. Rowe tries to balance the two masters, but it is a source of some difficulty.The PDF maintain offices here and have special docking/fueling privileges. Since the PDF protects the space around Pericles, they have some authority here. On duty PDF officers are permitted to carry weapons on the station, The PDF also has extradition rights, and are permitted to pursue warrants on the station.
- The VPs or Volunteer Posse is a group of private security paid for by merchants mostly in the Promenade, but they deal outside as well, and keep cordial relations with the SAS, they have finagled non-lethal weapons permits.
- The Cossacks are a group of New Russians, who are hired out for security purposes and help foster Russians. This group does not have weapons permits, however, they seem to have effective techniques of security nonetheless.
- Frontier Emergency Services is a contract entity providing emergency services, fire detail, EMS, and notably, disease control. In this latter capacity, and others, they has weapons permits that allow them to apprehend, hold or otherwise deal with suspected carriers of disease, and they have weapons permits.