|Renyard "Renny" Janovich|
 Background (in Bullet Form)
Pre-History: The Janovich Family:
1893 - Yacob (Jacob) Janovich Born in Brooklyn NY to Ukrainian émigré parents
1915 - Yacob and his brother Nathan start Janovich Kosher Meat Company. Initially, they run it out of their father’s butcher shop, but it quickly expands due to increased export demands caused by WWI.
1919 - To supplement their income, Nathan begins running an illegal distillery out of the Janovich packing plant
1921 - Nathan Janovich killed in an industrial accident. Yacob continues the illegal distilling operation and also becomes involved in certain other organized crime activities, mostly specialized "disposals." As Jacob Jr. would later put it "Janovich Meats has the Kosher business, the non-Kosher business, . . . and the not at all Kosher business"
1922 - Jacob Janovich Jr (JJJ)born.
1923 - Semion (Sam) Janovich born
1940 - Sam Janovich marries Anya Ivankova.
1940 - Jacob Jr goes to England to fight as a volunteer in the British Army in WWII. After the war he continues to travel with a particular interest in occult and mystic items. He doesn't return to the US until 1965.
1943 - David Janovich Born. His parents, Sam and Anya, eventually have 4 additional children: Nathan, Katarina, Susanna and William. Nathan and William will later become part of local organized crime.
1955 - Jacob Janovich Sr. Dies of a heart attack. Sam Janovich takes over the family business.
1967 - David Janovich marries Maryam Madarovski
Rene Janovich’s History
• 07/22/73 – Reynard Julian Janovich born at Coney Island Hospital (Brighton Beach, NY) to David and Maryam.
• 3/17/75 - Sam Janovich dies of natural causes. Per his will control of the business transfers to his wife Anya. She immediately sets about reorganizing the company, including getting out of the "Not at all Kosher" aspects of the business.
• 5/12/75 – A burned out car containing the remains of Reynard’s parents is found on the Brooklyn side of Hell Gate Bridge. Though initially investigated as a murder, the final police reports list the deaths as accidental. There is a media sensation at the time, but no criminal charges are ever filed. Rene’s grandmother Anya takes over raising Rene.
• 10/22/85 – Jacob Janovich Jr. dies searching for the original Abbey of Thélème, (described by François Rabelais in “Gargantua and Pantagruel”). Rene is listed as his sole beneficiary despite never having met Jacob in person. The inheritance consists primarily of a large collection of occult artifacts and books. Rene ignores them at the time.
• 1986 – 1993 Rene has troubled teen years. He spends considerable time with his uncles despite them being declared “bad influences” by his grandmother. Rene has numerous scrapes and near scrapes with the law for various bits of hooliganism. He attends CUNY, majoring in psychology, but drops out before getting a degree. He takes some interest in his inheritance from Jacob Jr., but mostly he just sells bits and pieces of it for spare cash. He does study some of the books of Crowley and begins doing Tarot readings to earn extra money. He finds that he has some talent for accurate card readings.
• August 1994 – The spirit of Jacob Jr. appears to Rene during a fake séance, scaring off the client. JJJ berates Rene for squandering his gifts and true inheritance. Rene promises to make better use of his abilities in the future.
• January 1995 – Rene is sent to the NY State prison in Ossining for 6 months following conviction on fraud charges.
• 1997 – Anya Janovich dies. Ownership of Janovich Meats passes to a trusteeship set up for Sam and Anya’s children. Rene’s uncles Nathan and William (a.k.a “The Mobsters”) take over day to day operations. Rene holds various useless positions at the company.
• 1999 – 2001 – Rene is convicted of embezzlement following a scandal at the company. He serves 2 years of a 25 year sentence before the conviction is overturned on a technicality. Rene would not know until after his release that he was set up by his uncles, who also arranged for the technicality that allowed his eventual release.
• 2002 – Aug 2004 - Rene works as a con artist in NY. There are occasional charges brought against him, but none quite stick due to the interventions of his uncles and their associates.
• Aug 17, 2004 - One of Rene's client's, Galina Brezhnevskaya, becomes obsessed with him. Convinced that Rene is the re-incarnation of her long (very long) dead husband Vanya, Galina turns Rene and introduces him as Vanya to Brooklyn Cainite society (where she is regarded as something of a useful eccentric).
• Sept. 2004 - Dec. 2005 - Rene's transition is made difficult by his sire, who insists that he move in with her and live with her as her (human) husband, even to the point of forcing him to wear Vanya's century old clothing. He is also disturbed to find that his psychic abilities have become more powerful and accurate.
• Dec 2005 - Nov 2009 – Following an intervention by the Prince of Brooklyn, Rene moves from Galina's household. He attempts to return to his previous life, but even as his abilities make the job easier, his appetites prove difficult to control. He subsists primarily on cattle blood which he gets from the meat packing plant. He hides his condition from his uncles, who presume that Rene had set himself up as a gigolo to some wealthy old lady. During this time Galina continues to haunt him, both figuratively and occasionally literally (high Presence)
• Nov 2009 – At the Brooklyn Prince's “suggestion,” Rene leaves Brighton Beach for California. He decides to settle in Los Angeles to be near one of the company’s plants that renders chickens for the Asian market. He takes with him most of the contents of his grandmother’s house as well as his uncle’s collection of mystic esoterica, which he plans to use as props for his cons.
• Present – Following several disastrous encounters including a falling out with the local Giovanni, Rene escapes from LA for parts unknown.
 Psychological Profile
Rene is a con artist by nature and it tends to color his thoughts and actions.
He also has had become used to weird things happening to him; typically bad, weird things.
 Character Sheet
Character Name: Reynard Jacob Janovich
Chronicle: Natchez By Night
Concept: Occult Con Man
Backgrounds: 5 pts.
Virtues: 7 pts.
Self Control: 2