thick skull (3 toughness SP effect): You take 1 less damage from knockout attacks.
rest (1 toughness SP action): Make a toughness roll (difficulty 12). If successful, you now have hit points equal to half your toughness ability rounded down + 1.
berserk attack (2 toughness SP attack, requires fighting or wrestling): Make an attack using fighting or wrestling ability with -2 to hit instead of having the standard penalty from being injured.
immunity (2 toughness SP effect): You have +2 when rolling to resist the effects of poison and disease.
blocking (3 toughness SP action): When a character uses blocking, she chooses an ally to defend. Until the blocking character's next turn, enemies can not attack the character she is defending, unless the blocking character has been delayed or incapacitated.
cover ( toughness SP)
ankle support (1 toughness SP, +1 strength) This skill requires boots. This skill can be combined with the back support skill for a total of +2 strength.
arm guard (2 toughness SP, +1 agility) This skill requires equipment that protects the arms or hands like mail gloves or mittens, gauntlets or bracers. These make it easier to catch and deflect attacking weapons. This agility bonus can be combined with shield skill bonuses to agility.
back support (1 toughness SP, +1 strength) This skill requires a girdle or weight belt. This skill can be combined with the ankle support skill for a total of +2 strength.
armor (2 toughness SP, +1 toughness) This skill requires some type of armor or protective clothing. Armor skill is required by bulletpoof, chainmail, full plate, half plate, padding and vital protection skill. The extra toughness from armor skills does not give the character more toughness SP. Armor does not directly alter defense, but increasing toughness can indirectly increase both defense and strength.
- bulletproof (2 toughness SP, +1 toughness, resists crushing) This skill requires the armor, padding and vital protection skills. You cannot use this skill with chainmail, half plate or full plate skill.
- chainmail (2 toughness SP, +1 toughness) This skill requires the armor skill, a mail hauberk, leggings, coif and gloves or mittens. You cannot use this skill with bulletproof, half plate or full plate skill.
- half plate (2 toughness SP, +1 toughness, resists piercing) This skill requires the armor and vital protection skills, a breastplate, brigantine, lamellar, plate armor or at least two types of lesser plate armor like a helmet, gauntlets or greaves. You cannot use this skill with bulletproof, chainmail or full plate skill. Armor that deflects blades resists piercing damage.
- full plate (4 toughness SP, +2 toughness, resists peircing) This skill requires the armor and vital protection skills and a full suit of plate armor, including breastplate, helmet, greaves and gauntlets. You cannot use this skill with bulletproof, chainmail or half plate skill. Armor that deflects blades resists piercing damage.
- padding (1 toughness SP, resists crushing) This skill requires the armor skill and armor specifically designed to absorb blows, like a gambeson, leather jacket or ballistic vest. Padding makes the toughness bonus from armor skill resist crushing damage. This skill is required for bulletproof skill. Armor with extra padding to dissipate kinetic energy resists crushing damage.
- vital protection (1 toughness SP, resists peircing) This skill requires the armor skill and armor specifically designed to deflect blades, like a breastplate, brigantine, stab vest, lamellar or plate armor. Vital protection makes the toughness bonus from armor skill resist piercing damage. This skill is required for half plate, full plate or bulletproof skill.
|armor, vital protection||+1||+1||none||3|
|armor, padding, vital protection||+1||+1||+1||4|
|armor, chainmail, padding||+2||none||+1||5|
|armor, chainmail, vital protection||+2||+1||none||5|
|armor, chainmail, padding, vital protection||+2||+1||+1||6|
|armor, vital protection, half plate||+2||+2||none||5|
|armor, vital protection, half plate, padding||+2||+2||+1||6|
|armor, vital protection, full plate||+3||+3||none||7|
|armor, vital protection, full plate, padding||+3||+3||+1||8|
|armor, padding, vital protection, bulletproof||+3||+1||+2||6|
shield (1 toughness SP) Shield skills require a buckler or shield for parrying attacks.
- shield bash ( toughness SP shield close range attack): You can use this ability to do an attack that does 1 damage
- total defense ( toughness SP shield action): Instead of attacking you can get a +2 to defense until your next turn.
- block ( toughness SP shield counter, prepared): Make an enemy re-roll a successful attack.
- phalanx ( toughness SP shield effect): +2 defense if you have a healthy ally using a shield or +1 defense if you only have an injured ally using a shield.
- intercept ( toughness SP shield effect): You have a +1 to defense against long range attacks when you use a shield.
- tortoise ( toughness SP shield bonus action): In addition to your normal actions, you can give one ally a +2 to defense against long range attacks until your next turn.
- push ( toughness SP shield effect, prepared): Add +2 to all of your attacks this turn, and force one of the targets of those attacks to skip a turn, whether or not the attacks succeed.