- Born into a family of common stock, in a prosperous market town in central Naseria.
- Son of a smith, from a long line of smiths, only a passable apprentice.
- Daydreamed of a more exciting life beyond the boredom and drudgery (as he saw it) of a craftsman; and the stifling social obligations of his family.
- From a young age idolised the errant knights, wandering from place to place righting wrongs and holding officials to account.
- When he was twelve, an errant Tide Knight was passing through, and she helped the magistrate's men apprehend a famous bandit who'd been ravaging the area for years.
- Iskander managed to convince her to take him along, defying the patriarch of his family (his grandfather) in the process. He was given an ultimatum: put aside his childish notions or never come back. He chose the latter and left his family for good.
- For several months he travelled with Marcella, playing sidekick and shield-carrier and having his eyes opened to the world outside his comfortable existence.
- Some initial training - stances, breathwork, novice forms, fitness drills - to see if he was really serious.
- Arrives at the Iron Bastion in the east fitter and better prepared than he would otherwise have been joining the ranks of the hopeful.
- Marcella stayed only long enough to take on fresh supplies, then hit the road again.
- Training is hard, but it's not the physical element that Iskander struggles most with; he lacks sorcerous blood or any magic of his own at all. The instructors are used to turning latent sorcery into an elemental connection, not opening the mind to find it via other means.
- The pressure in training racheted up, with the aim of forcing him to quit, but he refused. When he was badly beaten in sparring, he saw the ghost of a long-dead elemental master, who promised to train him.
- Through meditation and exercises unknown in Naseria (some not practised anywhere for centuries), he found his elemental connection.
- The instructors were wary of him seemingly spontaneously developing a new approach, using a method rarely seen in Naseria. He was allowed to continue his training, but was scrutinised.
- Acquitted himself well in border skirmishes in the mountains, and had a brief involvement in the Fang War (though did little more than march).
- At the time near to graduation that other students from common families were seeking patronage and adoption from noble sponsors, he avoided attachments.
Name: Iskander Hajarius
Class: Elemental Knight
Str: 16 (+3)
Dex: 14 (+2)
Con: 16 (+3)
Int: 14 (+2)
Wis: 10 (+0)
Cha: 14 (+2)
Armour Class: 21
Physical Defense: 17
Mental Defense: 16
|Armour Type||AC||Attack Penalty|
Dice: 3d8+3 (16)
Melee: Att: +6 vs AC Hit: 3[W]+3 Miss: 2
Ranged: Att: +5 vs AC Hit: 3[W]+2 Miss: -
Armour Attack Penalty: 0
|Battleaxe||+6 vs AC||3d8+3||3|
|Shortsword||+6 vs AC||3d6+3||3|
|Javelin||+5 vs AC||3d6+2||-|
|Dagger||+6 vs AC||3d4+3||3|
|Unarmed||+6 vs AC||3d6+3||3|
One Unique Thing
Ghostly Mentor - Iskander excelled at the physical aspects of training at the Iron Bastion, but elemental knights were more than just external martial artists, they were also masters of internal elemental magic. Coming from a common family with no history of sorcerous ability and demonstrating no latent talents of his own, he was stalled in progressing beyond the entry level. Sorcery was relatively common in Naseria compared to other nations meaning the instructors had a lot of experience in twisting the early manifestation of sorcery into elemental power, but very little in fostering one through meditation, exercise, fasting and forms.
The pressure in training escalated by the day, the training staff trying to force Iskander to quit, but he stubbornly ground on. One day he was badly beaten by a fellow student who had discovered their Tide attunement and was able to redirect Iskander's own attacks against him. It was while lying in the infirmary that he first saw the ghost of Kim Lee Bien, an elemental master from the Dawn War. Master Kim promised to show him how to kindle his elemental attunement without sorcery, though he was clear the likelihood of success was based entirely on how hard the student practised. Kim was a harsh instructor, far worse than those at the Iron Bastion and liked to use pain to punctuate his teaching points. However, his methods worked, Iskander began to feel the elemental flows and shape them with his will. No one else could see Master Kim, and thus the blossoming elemental power in the once backward student was a mystery to all.
Kim also taught martial techniques once common in the Dawn Age that had died out in this Zenith Age, as well as some esoteric powers that had not been used in over a century. Iskander flourished in his training thanks to his ghostly mentor. With his graduation into the ranks of the knights, Master Kim did not disappear, he still visits Iskander whenever it suits him, questioning, making requests, occasionally demonstrating some new higher technique. It is still unclear exactly what Master Kim's agenda is.
- The Truthseeker (Positive - 1 die) - Iskander is a trusted agent of the Truthseeker, working with his network of eyes and ears whenever their interests should coincide. His errant status allows him to roam widely. He established his worthiness when he recovered a collection of scrolls of ancient lore during an expedition into Carthagia and brought them back to the Truthseeker personally, despite numerous hardships.
- The Manipulator-General (Negative - 1 die) - It wasn't enough that as a Naserian Iskander was opposed to the ambitions of the Carthagian nation, he thwarted the schemes of the Manipulator-General himself in recovering the scrolls of ancient lore and earned his undying emnity.
- The Solitary Flame (Conflicted - 1 die) - After meeting the Solitary Flame in person and agreeing to perform a task for him, Iskander has become unwittingly enmeshed in that mysterious figure's schemes.
Adept of Iron Crane Style +4
- Physicality (Athletics, Acrobatics, Endurance)
- Elemental insights (Arcana)
An Officer's Education +2
Veteran of the Mountain Patrol +2
- Survival (foraging, camp tasks)
- Knowledge of common denizens of the mountains
Insights of the Void +1
- Knowledge and practise of the Void element
Son of a Smith +1
- Craft skills
Bonus Feat - At 1st level, human PCs start with two feats instead of one.
Quick to Fight - At the start of each battle, roll initiative twice and choose the result you want.
Elemental Attunement - Elemental knights receive their training from sorcerous knightly orders and martial sects. These organisations focus on a single element above all others in both practical and philosophical respects, and while they often fold in teachings and sorceries from the other elements, the primary element always remains their strongest. Iron - Your elemental damage type is thunder. Additionally, you do not suffer the usual attack penalty for wearing heavy armour.
Internal Strength - Your internal strength is a measure of your ability to control and maintain the elemental energies that you channel through yourself. These serve as a hybrid between sorcerous spells and martial techniques, granting you the ability to infuse your weapon with elemental power, hurl elemental bolts at your enemies, or engage in feats of supernatural capability. You can have a number of channels active equal to your total remaining internal strength. Once per turn, as a quick action, you can switch one active channel out for another that you know.
Unarmed Combat - You treat your unarmed attacks as small one-handed weapons rather than following the usual rules for unarmed combat, meaning that they do the same amount of damage as a dagger (d4 weapon damage).
Mage-Hunter - Enemies casting close-quarters spells while engaged with you allow you to make an opportunity attack against them. If you hit with an opportunity attack against an enemy who provoked the attack by casting a spell of any kind, they become Hampered for one round.
Unity of Body and Mind - Your unarmed attacks are now treated as light one-handed weapons (d6 weapon damage). Additionally, whenever you make an attack with one of your discharge or maelstrom channels and have at least one hand free, you gain a +1 bonus on the attack roll.
Unorthodox Sect Teachings - You know a new version of Unchained Lightning channel which deals psychic damage in place of its original elemental type. This new channel is part of the Meditation Style respectively for the purposes of calculating how many channels you have of non-attuned Styles.
Light Breath Method (A) - You can also run across the surface of water as long as you keep moving and do not stop.
Unity of Body and Mind (A) - You gain a +2 bonus to AC and PD against grab attacks.
Cascading Water Evasion (A) - Cascading Water Evasion can also be used against ranged attacks.
Extra Backgrounding (A) - Add 2 Background points.
Powers and Spells
Internal Strength: 3
Channels Known: 6
- Stone Body Meditation
- Mountain-Moving Technique
- Iron Palm
- Unchained Lightning (4d8 damage)
- Light Breath Method
- Cascading Water Evasion
- Elemental Strike
- Elemental Ward
Armour: Scale armour, shield
Weapons: Battle axe, shortsword, dagger, javelins (2)