Brahnamin's Characters - Jian
Jian van Jensen :: Ship's Captain
Trained Skills 
Untrained Skills 
| Craft | Drive | Fix | Know | Labor | Move | Perform | Shoot | Survive | Throw |
Ghost in the Machine: There ain't a system in the 'Verse you cain't crack.
- Code Monkey: You are a master at teaching old code new tricks - When you are altering or rewriting code, spend 1 PP to roll your Trick die and add it to your total on any Operate roll.
[Highlighted Skills: Notice/Operate/Trick]
Old Leather Jacket: You wear your jacket like a uniform. Folk almost don't recognize you without it.
- Talk ‘em Down: Your jacket lends you an air of authority - When you try to defuse a charged situation, step up or double Influence. Take or step up a Complication to do both
[Highlighted Skills: Fight/Fly/Sneak]
Former Ship's Doc: You were a doctor once . . . a long long lifetime ago.
[Highlighted Skills: Influence/Operate/Treat]
Signature Assets 
Grey-Ops Cortex Implant You've been fitted with a shielded inter-cranial processor featuring a full cortex suite, variable frequency bandwidth, and broad spectrum wireless access.
[Special: Implant relays directly to optic nerve and inner ear. No visible externals]
- Back Door: When you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back. You can use your implant to suss out shortcuts into systems by hard-linking your system to theirs. Take or step up the complication Hard-Linked to step up or double Operate when infiltrating electronic systems.
Steady Hands Despite their cybernetic nature, your hands and arms look perfectly normal and perfectly human. They don't flinch or shake, and they don't hesitate. No matter what is going on around you, your hands know what they are about. After all, that's how they were engineered.
[Special: Cybernetics extend to shoulders]
Hypo Tranq Implanted in your cybernetic fingertips are hypodermic pressure emitters loaded with a fast acting neuro-stun tranq that causes unconsciousness.
[Special: Physical contact required to transmit dose]
Character Concept: Practical Pacifist/Always in the Thick of Things.
Role: Ship's Captain
Home planet: Sihnon
First Impressions: Jian is short and wiry, with a mix of Asian and Caucasian features. He keeps his hair buzzed and wears a short goatee, has dark eyes and a quiet, unassuming voice.
- [Pre-E9] A core educated doctor, Jian regularly found himself behind lines during the war, patching up soldiers and civilians on both sides until he was caught and imprisoned by the Alliance. Shortly before Unification, he was rescued from a hospital prison camp by a soldier he had befriended named Lynch.
- [E9] Jian joined the crew as Ship's Doctor in the middle of a job where the crew was retrieving an artifact from Earth That Was.
- [E10] Jian's medical skill sees lots of use in an ambush with pirates, and he learns he's not much of a knife fighter. The crew does not yet know of Jian's association with Lynch, though they've had their own dealings with the man.
- [E11] Jian helps search for Wiley's kidnapped kin. The crew learns of his implant and his facility with computers - particularly breaking into computer systems. He strongly encourages the crew to use Lynch as their escape hatch at the end of the episode.
- [E12] The crew tries to turn the tables on some landgrabbers, but evacuation and retreat is the best they can manage. Jian avoids bringing up Lynch again, but encourages the crew to protect themselves and their charges by making themselves a sympathetic spectacle in a core-wide video documentary.
- [E13] The crew helps Major John Kraig find a watch he lost on a battlefield during the war before said battlefield gains protected status. The full extent of Jian's relationship with Lynch becomes known. Jian leaves the ship at the end of the episode to finally make good on what he owes Lynch for rescuing him during the War.
- [E14-17] [Off Screen] Jian joined up with Lynch after leaving the Righteous to clear his debt with the man, performing odd tasks and questionable off-book ops, the last of which cost him both his arms. Lynch put him back together, but Jian reckoned his debt clear and his friendship with the intelligence operative effectively at an end.
- [E18] Jian rejoins to the crew of the Righteous.