House of Seven Winds - Jiang Dafa
Character: Deputy Prefect Jiang Dafa
Jiang Dafa is a government official for the Ministry of Justice which requires him to investigate cases for the courts and the palace. But, unknown to his superiors, he is also the foster son of a martial family of the wulin. He uses his jianghu contacts to help him seek justice under the law, but he also keeps his jianghu family informed of any important information he hears about from the Ministry. These two, occasionally opposing, forces can make his desire to uphold justice difficult.
Jianghu Rank: 1
|+2||Fair||Fight, Rapport, Will|
|+1||Average||Notice, Contacts, Empathy, Athletics|
High Concept: Orphan Boy Who Rose to the Rank of Government Official
- Invoke: He can command compliance and cooperation with people due to his status, and he has inside access to the workings of the Imperial Bureaucracy.
- Compel: He’s not from a respected family, and has few real connections outside the government or the jianghu. He may get pushback from those who consider him a poor bumpkin.
Trouble: Loyal to Two Worlds: The Emperor and the Wulin
- Invoke: He will always “know a guy” when he wants to connect with either the wulin or the government.
- Compel: The jianghu and the Emperor’s agendas rarely overlap, and more often then not he finds himself working at cross-purposes.
Phase One: As Honest and Incorruptible as the Great Sage Himself
- Invoke: He’s got a reputation as an upright and honest official that people can trust, and he can convince others to follow his righteous cause.
- Compel: He really doesn’t like to cut corners for the sake of expediency, and he definitely does not believe that the end justifies the means. Go by-the-book or go home is his watchword.
Phase Two: Under Heaven, All Are Brothers (He seeks to turn the hearts of all to side of righteousness--even if they're fighting him hand-to-hand)
- Invoke: He will make the effort to recruit even the most unworthy opponent to his side and get them to abandon their wicked ways to support the Emperor.
- Compel: That being said, he’s easily suckered by a fake show of honor.
Phase Three: The Earth Dragon’s Tooth, Which I Keep Near My Heart (A long fossil fang made into a dagger. Said to be a dragon's tooth possessed of arcane energy.)
- Invoke: The tooth of an ancient earth dragon which has been made into a dagger, this artifact gives him an edge in fights and can be called upon to give advanced warning of upcoming evil.
- Compel: Some supernatural or magical beings and artifacts may be immune to the power of the earth dragon--or may even weaken it. The elements of Wood and Water can deplete the Earth Dragons power (like a wooden staff or shield).
Physical O O O O (due to technique)
Mental O O O
Mild : _________________________
Moderate : _____________________
Severe : _______________________
Ghost Phoenix Form
Form Aspect: Ghost Phoenix practitioners embrace the transitory nature of battle, seeking ideal pathways for their attacks and defense. Observing foes closely, they align their movements with an opponent allowing them to deliver disabling nerve strikes, sweeping kicks, and unbalancing push attacks not where their opponent is, but where they will be when the blow lands. Their sliding dodges and deflecting blocks work similarly, moving past or along with attacks to avoid contact. Easily one of the softest and most spiritual styles, Ghost Phoenix is nevertheless very effective.
- Exalted Ghost Body: When using Full Defense, you do not use up an invocation to use Chi Armor if the attack against you still succeeds.
- Ghost Haunts the Shadow: You may use Chi instead of Stealth to create an advantage based on moving silently or remaining unseen. Apply a +2 bonus instead if both Chi and the selected Stealth are the same rank or Stealth is greater.
- Ghost Strikes the Spirit: Ignore 1 point of Armor when making Fight attacks and add +1 Weapon Rating to any Fight attack against opponents with a lower Chi skill than the attacker.
- Phoenix Beats its Wings: If you defend with style, you may gain an Off Balance advantage on the target, with a free invocation instead of a boost.
- Phoenix Calls to Heaven: You may use Chi instead of Physique to determine extra stress boxes and consequences. This is in addition to the Armor bonus from having high Chi. If Chi and Physique are the same rating, you may instead reduce physical stress taken by 2 shifts once per session.
The Earth Dragon’s Tooth: Because Jiang Dafa possesses a dagger made of an earth dragon’s tooth, he gains a +2 to Fight Attacks unless the target has some magical immunity (see above). This bonus doesn’t apply if he’s disarmed temporarily due to an Advantage or Overcome action against him.
Attention to Detail: You can use Investigate instead of Empathy to defend against Deceive attempts. What others discover through gut reactions and intuition, you learn through careful observation of microexpressions.
Demagogue: +2 to Rapport when you’re delivering an inspiring speech in front of a crowd. (If there are named NPCs or PCs in the scene, you may target them all simultaneously with one roll rather than dividing up your shifts.)