- 1 Character
- 2 Attributes
- 3 Skills/Proficiencies
- 4 Dwarf
- 5 Background: Clan Crafter - Iron Guild
- 6 Personality
- 7 Hexblade Warlock
- 8 Eldritch Invocations
- 9 Combat
- 10 Spells
- 11 Equipment
- 12 Notes
Dwarf Warlock (Hexblade) L9
Keas Forgetender is a dwarven hexblade and weapon historian who explores the dangers of ancient, forgotten libraries and collections, and the long-abandoned deep dwellings of his people, in hopes of clearing the name of his 5th-great-grandfather and clan, thus avenging his lost love.
Talerender. Her name was Talerender. The spirit of an air elemental bound to the most potent weapon ever crafted by a Forgetender, her exploits were legendary among the dwarven people, until the Earththunder clan produced irrefutable evidence that she was no elemental, but a demon conjured through dark ritual by Khestrod Forgetender. Her weapon was shattered, her spirit thought destroyed, the clan shamed. Until she spoke to a young scion almost fifteen hundred years later, first in dreams, then from shadows. Her spirit hand rested on his, guiding it as he sought secrets in brittle tomes that might reveal the truth. Sleepless, relentless decades have been spent in pursuit of knowledge whispered to him as promises from a shadow lover, that his clan be cleared, justice brought to the Earththunders -- now princes amongst the clans -- and Talerender's dissipation avenged.
STR 08 (-1) DEX 10 CON 16 (+3) INT 14 (+2) WIS 12 (+1) CHA 18 (+4)
Languages: Dwarven Trade Tongue, High Dwarven, Draconic
- Arcana: +6
- Deception: +8
- History: +6
- Insight: +5
- Investigation: +6
- Persuasion: +8
Acrobatics, Animal Handling, Athletics, Intimidation, Medicine, Nature, Perception, Performance, Religion, Sleight of Hand, Stealth, Survival
- Smith's tools
- Cartographer's tools
- darkvision 60'
- Dwarven Resilience: Advantage on saves vs poison; Resistance against poison damage
- Stonecunning: add double proficiency bonus to Intelligence (History) check related to the origin of stonework
- Dwarven Combat Training: battleaxe, handaxe, light hammer, warhammer
- Languages: Dwarven Trade Tongue, High Dwarven + Tool Proficiency: smith's tools
Background: Clan Crafter - Iron Guild
- Respect of the Stout Folk: As well respected as clan crafters are among outsiders, no one esteems them quite so highly as dwarves do. I always have free room and board in any place where dwarves dwell, and the individuals in such a settlement might vie among themselves to determine who can offer me (and possibly my compatriots) the finest accommodations and assistance.
- Skill Proficiencies: History, Insight + Tool Proficiency: cartographer's tools + Language: Outlander?
- Equipment: artisan's tools, maker's mark chisel, traveler's clothes, 15 gp
- I believe that anything worth doing is worth doing right. I can’t help it—I’m a perfectionist.
- I always want to know how things work and what makes people tick.
- I expect danger around every corner.
I have a dire calling that puts me above the law. (Chaotic)
One day I will return to my guild and prove that my family were the greatest artisans of them all.
I’ll do anything to get my hands on something rare or priceless.
- Otherworldly Patron: Hexblade
- Pact Magic: Cantrips 3, Spell Slots 2, Spells Known 10, Slot Level 5th, Spell Save DC: 16, Spell Attack: +8
- Pact of the Blade: 1 action to create pact weapon in empty hand, counts as magical weapon
- Hexblade's Curse: As bonus action, choose one creature within 30'; cursed for 1 minute
- +4 damage against cursed target, crits on 19-20
- if cursed target dies, I regain 13 HP (Level + CHA)
- refreshes with short/long rests
- Hex Warrior: proficiency with medium armor, shields, martial weapons; use CHA for attacks/damage
- Accursed Specter: bind the soul of a person I slay, making it a specter with temp HP = 1/2 level and +CHA special bonus to attacks/damage. Vanishes at end of long rest, and ability resets.
- Beguiling Influence: I am proficient in the Deception and Persuasion skills
- Eyes of the Rune Keeper: I can read all writing
- Whispers of the Grave: I can cast speak with dead at will, without expending a spell slot.
- Thirsting Blade: I can attack with my pact weapon twice, instead of once, whenever I take the Attack action on my turn.
- Relentless Hex: My curse creates a temporary bond between me and my target. As a bonus action, I can magically teleport up to 30 feet to an unoccupied space I can see within 5 feet of the target cursed by my hex spell or by a warlock feature of mine, such as Hexblade’s Curse. To teleport in this way, I must be able to see the cursed target.
Speak with Dead: I grant the semblance of life and intelligence to a corpse of my choice within range, allowing it to answer the questions I pose. The corpse must still have a mouth and can't be undead. The spell fails if the corpse was the target of this spell within the last 10 days. Until the spell ends, I can ask the corpse up to five questions. The corpse knows only what it knew in life, including the languages it knew. Answers are usually brief, cryptic, or repetitive, and the corpse is under no compulsion to offer a truthful answer if I am hostile to it or it recognizes me as an enemy. This spell doesn't return the creature's soul to its body, only its animating spirit. Thus, the corpse can't learn new information, doesn't comprehend anything that has happened since it died, and can't speculate about future events. Duration: 10 minutes. Range: 10'. V S M
- HP: 75
- AC: 15 (chain shirt + shield)
- Saves: WIS, CHA
- Static Initiative: 10
- Speed: 25'
- Passive Perception: 11 | Passive Investigation: 16 | Passive Insight: 15
- Battleaxe: 2 attacks/action, +8 to hit, 1d8+4 damage (+4 damage with Curse)(+1d6 and Attribute disadvantage with Hex)
- Eldritch Blast: 2 attacks/action, +8 to hit, 1d10 force damage (+4 damage with Curse)(+1d6 and Attribute disadvantage with Hex), 120' range
Spells Cast: 0/2
- Blade Ward: I extend my hand and trace a sigil of warding in the air. Until the end of my next turn, I have resistance against bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage dealt by weapon attacks. Duration: 1 round. V S
- Eldritch Blast: Two beams of crackling force energy streak toward a creature within 120'. V S
- Green-Flame Blade: On a successful melee attack made with spell casting, target takes +1d8 fire damage and green fire surges to a different creature within 5', which takes 1d8+4 fire damage. V M
- Hex: I place a curse on a creature that I can see within range. Until the spell ends, I deal an extra 1d6 necrotic damage to the target whenever I hit it with an attack. Also, choose one Ability when I cast the spell. The target has disadvantage on ability checks made with the chosen ability. If the target drops to 0 hit points before this spell ends, I can use a bonus action on a subsequent turn of mine to curse a new creature. A remove curse cast on the target ends this spell early. Concentration. Duration: 1 hour, but with 5th level spell slot, I can maintain my concentration on the spell for up to 24 hours. Also, see Relentless Hex invocation. V S M
- Hold Person: Choose a humanoid that I can see within range. The target must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or be paralyzed for the duration. At the end of each of its turns, the target can make another Wisdom saving throw. On a success, the spell ends on the target. With 5th spell slot, target 4 total individuals within 30' of each other. Concentration. Duration: 1 minute. Range: 60'. V S M
- Suggestion: I suggest a course of activity (limited to a sentence or two) and magically influence a creature I can see within range that can hear and understand me. Creatures that can't be charmed are immune to this effect. The suggestion must be worded in such a manner as to make the course of action sound reasonable. Asking the creature to stab itself, throw itself onto a spear, immolate itself, or do some other obviously harmful act ends the spell. The target must make a Wisdom saving throw. On a failed save, it pursues the course of action I described to the best of its ability. The suggested course of action can continue for the entire duration. If the suggested activity can be completed in a shorter time, the spell ends when the subject finishes what it was asked to do. I can also specify conditions that will trigger a special activity during the duration. For example, I might suggest that a knight give her warhorse to the first beggar she meets. If the condition isn't met before the spell expires, the activity isn't performed. If I or any of me companions damage the target, the spell ends. Concentration. Duration: 8 hours. Range: 30'. V M
- Blink: Roll a d20 at the end of each of my turns for the duration of the spell. On a roll of 11 or higher, I vanish from my current plane of existence and appear in the Ethereal Plane (the spell fails and the casting is wasted if I was already on that plane). At the start of my next turn, and when the spell ends, if I am on the Ethereal Plane, I return to an unoccupied space of my choice that I can see within 10 feet of the space I vanished from. If no unoccupied space is available within that range, I appear in the nearest unoccupied space (chosen at random if more than one space is equally near). I can dismiss this spell as an action. While on the Ethereal Plane, I can see and hear the plane I originated from, which is cast in shades of gray, and I can't see anything there more than 60 feet away. I can only affect and be affected by other creatures on the Ethereal Plane. Creatures that aren't there can't perceive me or interact with me, unless they have the ability to do so. Duration: 1 minute. V S
- Counterspell: I attempt to interrupt a creature in the process of casting a spell. If the creature is casting a spell of 5th level or lower, its spell fails and has no effect. If it is casting a spell of 6th level or higher, make an ability check using my spellcasting ability. The DC equals 10 + the spell's level. On a success, the creature's spell fails and has no effect. Reaction Spell. Range: 60'. S
- Dispel Magic: Choose one creature, object, or magical effect within range. Any spell of 5th level or lower on the target ends. For each spell of 6th level or higher on the target, make an ability check using my spellcasting ability. The DC equals 10 + the spell's level. On a successful check, the spell ends. Range: 120'. V S
- Psionic Blast: I unleash a destructive wave of mental power in a 30-foot cone. Each creature in the area must make a Dexterity saving throw. On a failed save, a target takes 7d8 force damage, is pushed 20 feet directly away from me, and is knocked prone. On a successful save, a target takes half as much damage and isn’t pushed or knocked prone. (+1d8 damage for every spell slot above 3rd, figured into the text.) V
- Thunder Step: I teleport myself to an unoccupied space I can see within range. Immediately after I disappear, a thunderous boom sounds, and each creature within 10 feet of the space I left must make a Constitution saving throw, taking 3d10 thunder damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. The thunder can be heard from up to 300 feet away. I can bring along objects as long as their weight doesn’t exceed what I can carry. I can also teleport one willing creature of my size or smaller who is carrying gear up to its carrying capacity. The creature must be within 5 feet of me when I cast this spell, and there must be an unoccupied space within 5 feet of my destination space for the creature to appear in; otherwise, the creature is left behind. 5th Spell Slot is +2d10, total 5d10 damage. Range: 90'. V
- Intellect Fortress: I create a faintly shimmering barrier of protective psychic power around me. For the duration, I have advantage on all saving throws. When another creature that I can see within 30 feet of me fails a saving throw, I can use my reaction to allow them to reroll the save. They must use the new roll. Concentration. Duration: 10 minutes. V S
- Scrying: I can see and hear a particular creature I choose that is on the same plane of existence as me. The target must make a Wisdom saving throw, which is modified by how well I know the target and the sort of physical connection I have to it. If a target knows I'm casting this spell, it can fail the saving throw voluntarily if it wants to be observed. On a successful save, the target isn't affected, and I can't use this spell against it again for 24 hours. On a failed save, the spell creates an invisible sensor within 10 feet of the target. I can see and hear through the sensor as if I were there. The sensor moves with the target, remaining within 10 feet of it for the duration. A creature that can see invisible objects sees the sensor as a luminous orb about the size of my fist. Instead of targeting a creature, I can choose a location I have seen before as the target of this spell. When I do, the sensor appears at that location and doesn't move. Knowledge: secondhand (have heard of target) +5, firsthand (have met target) +0, familiar (know well) -5. Connection: likeness or picture -2, possession or garment -4, body part/lock of hair/bit of nail/etc. -10. Concentration. Duration: 10 minutes. V S M*
- traveler's clothes
- scale mail (disadvantage stealth) [45 lb]
- shield [6 lb]
- silvered handaxe [2 lb]
- component pouch
- scholar's pack
- cartographer's tools [6 lb]
- maker's mark chisel (smithing)
- 340 +15 gold sovereigns + 17 gold
- Witch Bolt: A beam of crackling, blue energy lances out toward a creature within range, forming a sustained arc of lightning between me and the target. Make a ranged spell attack against that creature. On a hit, the target takes 1d12 lightning damage, and on each of my turns for the duration, I can use my action to deal 1d12 lightning damage to the target automatically. The spell ends if I use my action to do anything else. The spell also ends if the target is ever outside the spell’s range or if it has total cover from me. When I cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the initial damage increases by 1d12 for each slot level above 1st (total 5d12, then 1d12 therafter). Concentration. Duration: 1 minute. Range: 30'. V S M
- Invisibility:A creature I touch becomes invisible until the spell ends. Anything the target is wearing or carrying is invisible as long as it is on the target's person. The spell ends for a target that attacks or casts a spell. With 5th spell slot, target 4 total individuals. Concentration. Duration: 1 hour. V S M