BRP Skills Training and Research
Training requires an instructor with a higher ability in the skill than the character currently has. The characters trains for a number of hours equal to the current base skill level (the skill level with skill category bonus removed). At the end of the training time, the instructor rolls against Teaching, with the following results:
- Fumble: Roll an immediate idea roll (INT x 5%) to avoid losing 1d3 skill points.
- Failure: No automatic improvement. Character may attempt a normal skill check to gain 1d4 or 2 for the skill.
- Success: Gain 1d4+1 or 3 points for the skill.
- Special: Gain 1d4+2 or 4 points for the skill.
- Critical: Gain 2d4+2 or 6 points for the skill.
Research is attempted by the character with no trainer available. The character researches a number of hours equal to the current base skill level. At the end of that time, the character makes a normal skill check. See BRP Skills Advancement Checks.
Characters cannot train or research most skills beyond 75% + skill category bonus. Beyond that level, only experience grants increases. The exceptions are pure academic specialties. Characters have 50 hours a week available for skill training or research, or for attribute training or research, if all of their working time is dedicated to such pursuits. Part-time work will consume half of this time and full-time work will consume all of.