Coup-De-Grace: Mage Foci
Below are three lists, to allow you to determine what special traits the magical foci your mini is carrying have.
The first list is for "empty hands", which don't contain a mage focus at all. The game DOES make a distinction between whether this is the left or right hand for some empty hand combinations.
The second list is for mage foci carried and wielded in a single hand. The game DOES make a distinction between whether this is the left or right hand for some foci.
The third list is for mage foci carried and wielded in both hands.
Note that the game assumes standard minis with two hands.
Note that a focus attack's special rules only apply to attacks made with that focus itself, unless directly specified otherwise. For example, if you attack with a force orb and a blast staff, only the force orb benefits from the force orb's rules, and only the blast staff benefits from the blast staff's rules.
Foci effects either have the keyword SPELL or QUALITY.
- Any single handed or empty hand mage focus SPELL has a Movement Allowance cost of 2, and can be targeted at a model within line of sight up to 6 squares away.
- Any double handed focus SPELL has a Movement Allowance cost of 4, and can be targeted at a model within line of sight up to 9 squares away.
- SPELLS don't use range increments.
- QUALITIES don't cost movement allowance. They are "always on".
A spell may be noted to be...
- ...a RANGED ATTACK, in which case it is subject to the modifiers for ranged attacks, other than range increments.
- ...a MELEE ATTACK, in which case it does not have the usual 6 or 9 square range, and instead is treated for all intents and purposes as a melee attack. Note however that because it has a spell, it has a spell's MP cost (2 MP for single hand, 4 MP for two hands), which will normally be increased for being adjacent to enemies.
If a SPELL is an ATTACK, it deals one damage on a successful hit, and makes an attack roll against the target's defence value.
If a SPELL is NOT an ATTACK, it doesn't deal damage unless the spell effect describes so.
Note that the below are used if the mini is clearly that of a spellcasting-type. If a mini looks more like a fighter, then instead refer to the empty hand rules on the Melee Weapons page.
Note that if a mini is clearly holding a two handed focus in one hand, then disregard the empty hand, and treat it as if it had both its hands on the two handed focus.
- Clawed Hand (Either Hand) - Spectral Hand of Darkness: SPELL, RANGED ATTACK. On a successful attack roll pull the target one square directly towards you.
- Fist (Left Hand) - Battle Mage: QUALITY. This mini's SPELLS don't have their MA cost doubled for being adjacent to an enemies. If this mini's can't cast any SPELLS, then instead use the Force Fist rules below for this left hand.
- Fist (Right Hand) - Force Fist: SPELL, MELEE ATTACK. On a successful attack roll, target takes an additional HP damage (for 2 HP damage total).
- Open Hand (Left Hand) - Mage Shield: SPELL. This mini boosts his defence value by +2 till the end of the round when this spell is cast.
- Open Hand (Right Hand) - Prismatic Spray: SPELL, RANGED ATTACK. On a successful attack roll, the target loses -1 Movement Allowance till the end of the round. This MA penalty has no detrimental effect if the target has already activated this turn
- Pointing Hand (Left Hand) - Bless: SPELL. Select an allied mini within line of sight. That mini gains +2 Movement Allowance till the end of the turn. You may not select a mini that has already been activated.
- Pointing Hand (Right Hand) - Curse: SPELL. Select an enemy mini within line of sight. That mini has -2 Movement Allowance till the end of the turn. You may not select a mini that has already been activated.
- Blast Staff - Telekinetic Blast: SPELL, RANGED ATTACK. On a successful attack roll push the target one square directly away from you. If the destination square that the target would be pushed into is not one it could normally move into, then the movement is halted.
- Crystal - Heat Beam: SPELL, RANGED ATTACK. Against this attack unarmoured targets have base defence value of 5, and heavily armoured targets have a base defence value of 3.
- Force Orb - Unseen Hand: SPELL. Select any model (ally or foe) within 6 squares. You may move that model into an unoccupied adjacent square, and you may change its facing of you wish.
- Holy Symbol - Holy Light: SPELL. Select any model (ally or foe) within 6 squares. Roll a D6. On a 1-3 nothing happens. On a 4+ the target loses 1 HP if it undead, or gains 1HP if it is a living organic creature (to a maximum of its starting HP). This is not an attack.
- Spellbook - Wizardry: QUALITY. At the start of the mini's activation he may spend 2 Movement Points. If he does so, the mini can select one SPELL from the single handed or empty hands list, and cast it once this turn using its normal rules and paying its cost as usual.
- Skull - Necrotic Energies: SPELL. Select any model (ally or foe) within 6 squares. Roll a D6. On a 1-3 nothing happens. On a 4+ the target loses 1 HP if it is a living organic creature, or gains 1HP if it is undead (to a maximum of its starting HP). This is not an attack.
Its often hard to determine one staff type from another visually! Make sure everyone agrees what the staves represent before the warbands are selected. Suggested visual appearances are listed in brackets and italics at the end of each rules-set.
- Staff of Fire - Fireball: SPELL, RANGED ATTACK. Whenever you attack with this focus you must select a 3 x 3 square to target, which may not contain any allies. You only need to have line of sight to the centre square and calculate range only to that square. Roll one attack, and apply the result individually to each enemy within this area. (appearance: wooden staff)
- Staff of Lightning - Chain Lightning: SPELL, RANGED ATTACK. This attack always treats all targets as unarmoured (base defence value 3) no matter what armour they are wearing. On an attack roll of 6, you may immediately attack again with this focus against a target you have not yet attacked with this focus this round. (appearance: metal staff)