Coup-De-Grace: Melee Weapons
Below are three lists, to allow you to determine what special traits the weapons your mini is carrying have.
The first list is for "empty hands", which don't contain a weapon at all.
The second list is for weapons carried and wielded in a single hand. The game doesn't make a distinction between whether this is the left or right hand.
The third list is for weapons carried and wielded in both hands.
Note that the game assumes standard minis with two hands.
Some "weapons" are noted to have the keywords "NO ATTACK" in capitals. This means that they cannot be used to make a melee attack.
Note that a weapon attack's special rules only apply to attacks made with that weapon itself. For example, if you attack with a spear and an axe, only the spear benefits from the spear's rules, and only the axe benefits from the axe's rules.
If you can't find a weapon, then you might be able find one that is close to it - for example, a gladius or a wakizashi is going to work pretty much as a stabbing sword, and a hook sword, net or whip could all be seen an entangling weapons. Or, you could make up a new rule and add it to this page!
Note that the below are used if the mini is clearly that of a fighting-type. If a mini looks more like a scholar or a mage, then instead refer to the empty hand rules on the Mage Foci page.
- Claw - Rending Attacks: On an odd numbered attack roll that hits, resolve damage, then immediately attack again with this weapon.
- Fist - Martial Artist: Unarmoured opponents are at -1 Defence against attack.
- Open Hand - Duellist: NO ATTACK. +1 Movement Allowance. If a mini has two open hands, treat one as "Fist", as above.
Note that if a mini is clearly holding a two handed weapon in one hand, then disregard the empty hand, and treat it as if it had both its hands on the two handed weapon.
Note that some single-handed items here also appear on the mage foci list. To decide whether to use that list or this one, go by the mini's overall appearance. If it looks more like a warrior, check here, if it looks like a mage, refer to the mage focus list!
- Assassin's Knife - Spine Stab: +1 damage on successful backstab attacks.
- Axe - Dolorous Blow: Deal +1 damage for a succesful attack that comes up "6".
- Banner - Symbol of Glory: NO ATTACK. As long as this mini is standing, the banner wielder has -1 Defence Value, but all allied minis within Range 2 have +1 Defence Value. This is not cumulative from multiple Banners.
- Buckler - Guard: NO ATTACK. Gain +2 defence against melee attacks that originate in your front 90 degree arc.
- Curved sword - Slice and Dice: On an attack roll of 1-3, gain a +1 bonus to the attack roll result. This does not occur if the dice is re-rolled.
- Entangling Weapon - Drag Back: On a successful attack roll, resolve damage and then entangle the opponent. For the rest of the current character's activation, if you move, the target is moved into the square you vacated.
- Fencing sword - Feint: On an attack with this weapon that misses, immediately gain +2 movement allowance till the end of the round.
- Glaive - Cut Down: On a succesful attack roll of 3-4, deal +1 damage.
- Hammer - Bash Back: On a successful attack roll, resolve damage and then push the target one square directly away from you. If that space is occupied or impassable, you may instead change the target's facing.
- Mace / Morningstar - Skullbreaker: Against downed opponents, reduce Defence Value to 2 before any other modifiers.
- Musical Instrument - Battle March: NO ATTACK. As long as this mini is standing, the banner wielder has -1 Defence Value, but all allied minis have +2 Movement Allowance if they start their activation within 2 squares of the musician. This is not cumulative from multiple musical instruments.
- Shield - Block: NO ATTACK. Gain +1 defence against attacks that originate in your front 90 degree arc.
- Rock - Improvised weapon: This weapon always misses on a roll of "5". Can be used as single handed melee weapon or single handed ranged weapon. +1 to attack rolls against downed opponents.
- Sickle - Bloody hook: This weapon can be treated as a curved sword or an entangling weapon. Choose which before each attack roll. This weapon always misses on a roll of "5".
- Skull - Murderous: NO ATTACK. Add +1 to attack rolls of other melee attacks you make.
- Spear - Reach Attack: You may use this weapon to make a melee attack with this weapon on an opponent that is in either of the two front diagonal squares in your front arc.
- Stabbing sword - Pierce: On an attack roll of 4-6, gain a +1 bonus to the attack roll result. This does not occur if the dice is re-rolled.
- Straight sword - Classic swordplay: On an attack with this weapon that hits, immediately gain +2 movement allowance till the end of the round.
- Throwing Knife - Versatile: No special rules for attacks, but can be used as single handed melee weapon or single handed ranged weapon.
- Tower Shield - Cover: Gain +2 defence against ranged attacks that originate in your front 90 degree arc.
- Grand Glaive - Combination Weapon: The halberd has the special rules of the following single handed weapons: spear and glaive.
- Grand Maul - Send Flying: On a successful attack roll, resolve damage and then push the target three squares directly away from you. If that space or any of the intervening spaces is occupied or impassable, the target stops in the square before the impassable square and you may change the target's facing.
- Grand Scimitar - Great Equaliser: An opponent attacked by this weapon has its base Defence Value reduced to 3 for the duration of this attack.
- Great Axe - Executioner: An opponent reduced to zero hit points by this weapon is taken out of action instead of being downed. Deal +2 damage for an attack die that comes up "6".
- Halberd - Combination Weapon: The halberd has the special rules of the following single handed weapons: axe and spear.
- Longspear - Long Reach: All melee attacks with this weapon can be made with a range of 2 squares, ignoring any intervening models.
- Pike - Combination Weapon: The halberd has the special rules of the following single handed weapons: stabbing sword and spear.
- Quarterstaff - Position Control: On a successful attack, move the opponent one square in any direction, and move yourself one square in any direction.
- Scythe - Reaper: Against downed opponents, attacks with this weapon automatically hit.
- Zweihander straight sword - Cleave: When you attack an opponent with this weapon, you may also make a free attack against each opponent adjacent to the first targeted opponent. These extra attacks are at -1 to the attack roll.