Coup-De-Grace: Ranged Weapons
Below are two lists, to allow you to determine what special traits the weapons your mini is carrying have.
The first list is for weapons carried and wielded in a single hand. The game doesn't make a distinction between whether this is the left or right hand.
The second list is for weapons carried and wielded in both hands.
Note that the game assumes standard minis with two hands.
Note that a weapon attack's special rules only apply to attacks made with that weapon itself. For example, if you attack with a pistol and a crossbow, only the pistol benefits from the pistol's rules, and only the crossbow benefits from the crossbow's rules.
If you can't find a weapon, then you might be able find one that is close to it - for example, a throwing dart is going to be somewhat like a shuriken in function, and a javelin is as good as a dagger for being versatile.
Or, you could make up a new rule and add it to this page!
A Note on Empty Hands
If a mini has a ranged weapon in one hand, and the other is empty, then make a judgment based on the overall mini.
- If the mini is clearly holding a ranged weapon that takes two hands to fire, then ignore the empty hand, and treat it as if it had both hands on the two handed ranged weapon.
- If the mini looks to be a warrior type then treat the empty hand as a Melee Empty Hand.
- If the mini looks to be a spellcaster type then treat the empty hand as a Mage's empty hand.
Note that a lot of single handed ranged weapons might theoretically need an extra hand to reload (such as pistols and crossbows). The game disregards this, assuming that reloading time and juggling of items is incorporated into the movement cost of firing the weapon. For this game's purposes, the number of hands a weapon requires is the number of hands required to shoot with it, not to reload it.
Note also that you aren't required to track ammunition, or to fetch back thrown weapons. If a mini has a javelin, he has enough javelins to last the battle. If he has a pistol, he has all the shot and powder he needs for the battle.
Some minis might carry a weapon that needs two hands to fire but will be carrying an item in the other hand. In this case, disregard the second item, and treat the mini as one that has both hands on the two handed weapon.
All single handed ranged weapons have a range increment of 3, and cost 4 Movement Points to attack with, unless stated otherwise.
- Crossbow - Accuracy: Once per round, on an attack roll of "2", you may choose to reroll the attack dice.
- Grappling Hook / Lariat - "C'mere you!": On a successful attack, deal no damage, but move the target directly towards you until he is in the square directly in front of you. Maximum range of 4.
- Pistol - Blastback: On a successful attack, push the target back one square. If this would cause the target to enter a square it could not normally move into, the movement is cancelled.
- Shuriken - Volume over accuracy: Range increment reduced to 1. Once per round, when you attack with this weapon, you may make make 2 additional attacks.
- Throwing Knife - Versatile: No special rules for attacks, but can be used as single handed melee weapon or single handed ranged weapon.
All double handed ranged weapons have a range increment of 6, and cost 4 Movement Points to attack with, unless stated otherwise.
- Heavy Crossbow - Accuracy and Power: Once per round, on an attack roll of "2" or "3", you may choose to reroll the attack dice.
- Shortbow - Skirmisher Weapon: Reduce the total firing into melee penalty by 1 point to a minimum of 0. (e.g. -3 becomes -2).
- Longbow - Knight's Bane: On an attack roll of 4-6, gain a +1 bonus to the attack roll result. This does not occur if the dice is re-rolled. Also, the Longbow has a range increment of 9.
- Rifle - Armour Piercing: On an attack roll of 3-5, gain a +1 bonus to the attack roll result.
- Shotgun - Major Blastback: On a successful attack, push the target back two squares. If this would cause the target to enter a square it could not normally move into, the movement is cancelled prior to moving into that square.