Microscope RPG--Rise and Fall of an Empire: Period: Beginning Bookend
Period: Beginning Bookend
"Religious refugees fleeing their homeland settle in a small city struggling for independence."
Some ideas from Jarite:
- The religion advocates the extermination or forced conversion of unbelievers - the city-state is soon taken over, giving an almost-beaten ideology a new lease on life.
- The small city's culture is going to be made much more "evil" by the religious refugees - perhaps they are more sexist, more oppressive (feudal oppression, economic oppression, or some other sort).
- The small city are the 'bad guys' relative to the forces they fight for independence against. Possibilities include a noble class wanting to retain rights over it's people, that the city-state is rebelling for a reason unconvincing from our perspective (refusing to accept a female ruler?) etc.
- We simply emphasize how hard it is for refugees starting over in a new land. The city-dwellers discriminate against them to a severe degree, making it worse.
- Unknown to the inhabitants, who are full of hope, a natural disaster is coming sufficiently bad that the refugees would have been better off as refugees.