The Dustwalkers - A Tale of the Malazan Book of the Fallen
"Name none of the fallen, for they stand in our place, and stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living." ~Duiker, Imperial Historian
It's 1164 Burn's Sleep, the 106th year of the Malazan Empire. Empress Laseen is engaged in a flurry of expansion, first Genabackis, and now a new destination. The 10th Army has been tasked with an expedition to the continent of Jacuruku. To seek allies, or else conquer a beachhead if no one proves willing, for the glory of the Empire. Unbeknownst to the marines and soldiers of the 10th, half a world away rebellion is stirring in Seven Cities and a new threat is emerging in central Genabackis.
The PCs are all marines attached to the advance elements of the 10th Army. Their transports and escorts were attacked just off the north-west coast of Jacuruku, forcing some of them to land. Now they must survive long enough for reinforcements or rescue to arrive. Meanwhile, forces within the country they have just landed in seek to destroy the invaders, or else use the opportunity they create.
We're using FATE 3.0 as per Legends of Anglerre, but with some important modifications. We'll also be using Scopes as per Diaspora, they are: Personal, Training, Equipment, Campaign. Maximum of one FP/Aspect invoked per Scope. Look for the self-Compel opportunities, because once we start Compels are the only source of FPs. There will be no Refresh, everyone starts with 5 (five). As a general rule, if you're "roleplaying" of your character is in accordance with Compel-points of your Aspect, take the FP.
- Strangers in a Strange Land - the Malazans are not from Jacuruku and it shows.
- Invoke: Doing the unexpected, Moranth munitions
- Compel: Distrust and betrayal from the natives, drawing unwanted attention
- Malazan Marines are Ready for Anything - you are all marines; first in, strike fast, strike hard. Some of you still remember the tenets of Dassem Ultor - do what is right.
- Invoke: Hastily cobbled-together plans, ambushes, feints and surprise attacks, standing up to the unjust.
- Compel: Blatantly look like soldiers, hard-bitten edge that makes civilians uneasy, doing the right thing.
- Dakkareth as Candles, veteran cadre mage in the 10th Army
- Lost_Arts as Shy, veteran sapper in the 10th Army. Former member of the 3rd.
- Axelius as Fingers, new recruit and cutter in the 10th Army
- johanngottliebfitche as Ox, new recruit and scout in the 10th Army
- Two Shoes, new recruit and heavy in the 10th Army