Firefly: The Second Unification War
Character Files/Meta Currencies
I will update the Character Table on the wiki each time I update the IC thread. Please do not update the table yourselves. I don't want anyone losing Plot Points or Big Damned Hero Dice from double subtraction.
If you feel I have forgotten to update the table or that my math is wrong, let me know OOC or DM me and I will fix it. Likewise, if I make a mistake on the Character/GM Complications/Assets lists, let me know and I'll fix it. These also get updated when I update the IC thread.
Note: The first 'character' on the table is the ship and clicking on the ship's name opens all her information including the ship AI's proper- and pro- nouns.
|Tian Zhi Jian||The Ship Herself||AI: Jian||1|
|Lian MacBay||Saboteur||Potted Plant||2||2|
|Gemma Boggs||Social Chameleon||Kittlefish||1||2|
|Garrett Waymire||Sniper (also Reader)||strange behaviour||1||1||1||4|
|Adelaide Thibault||Medical Forensics Specialist||Muskrat||1||2||2||1||3|
|Aloysius "Hands" Henry||Machine Whisperer (Mechanic)||Atlictoatl||1|
|Aaron Abernathy||First Name In Guidebooks||Fedifensor||1||1|
|Joshua Thompson||Core world medical researcher||Herodarwin||1|
Complications and Assets
Note: Assets with 2 PP invested will be marked with an [E] to denote episode-long assets.
Our Story So Far . . .
Timeline: The Second Unification War begins some fifty odd years after the events of the movie Serenity. The signal got out. The reavers were obliterated. And the alliance lost much standing in the aftermath. The border planets and beyond, becoming ever more emboldened, begin to refer to themselves as the Independent Rim.
Trigger Event: Independent spies discover that the alliance is playing with Pax again, injecting border and rim citizens, disposing of those who give into the Pax and training those taken by the Rage as shock troops. And they are getting closer to discovering the genetic markers that lead to one result over the other.
It is then that the Independent Rim begins to become a legitimate military force in opposition to the alliance. Planets and outposts are trained and fortified, and the independents begin full scale ship building and armament stockpiling.
Opening Scene: Forward several years and the Independents release their first warships and scouts, taking aim at the core, declaring war openly across the verse. A crew of handpicked recruits are sent out in the Tian Zhi Jian, the Sword of Heaven, the latest long range scout ship, specced, registered, and equipped as a frontline medical ship to act as both a support and spy vessel.
A Kingfisher Class vessel, the Tian Zhi Jian is fully AI equipped.
Note: The crew has command and tactical provenance of the Tian Zhi Jian, but they are stil soldiers. Independents own her and have a certain say in what 'jobs' the crew takes on her mission.
You are welcome to use the following Template for your character sheet or replace it with your own format. Just make sure skills, distinctions, and signature assets are clearly labeled with their appropriate die notation as well as which distinction triggers are active and available for use.
Wiki Edits: If you are waiting for moderation on your character wiki, go HERE to get put on the pre-approved list.
THESE are the mods we will be using for this game.
Plot Point Bidding
PBP format doesn't work well for Player/GM back and forth, so I do my best to avoid it. This means the bidding aspect of spending PP on a roll kinda drops off. Instead, I find it helpful for players to indicate (if you are able) how many PP/BDHD you are willing to spend (if any) to succeed on the roll. I will do my best to make sure those PP are spent as economically as possible to achieve your desired outcome.
If my NPC is willing (presuming I have the PP to burn) to spend enough GM PP that you cannot succeed, I will let you know that so you don't have to burn PP if you don't want to on a failed action (though you always have the option to spend your PP to force me to spend mine in those situations).
If I am requiring an action of you (defending vs an attack, random notice check, etc) I will roll stakes so you know what you are rolling against, and I will tell you what PP I am willing to spend. I don't generally pre-roll for actions I think you might take no matter how obvious it might seem, because I don't want to influence how you choose to act in a scene.
While the core game implies a fairly significant amount of player vs player conflict, I prefer not to run games that lean heavily to that assumption. If you wan't to do something that directly acts against another player there are two options.
- Unilateral Permission: The other player agrees to your action. No rolls are needed. Just RP it out.
- Limited Permission: The other player doesn't agree that it is an automatic thing, but does agree to let the dice decide.
Note: If the players involved do not agree to PVP, it doesn't happen. Move on with something else.
Chinese Slang & Firefly Phrases For adding color to how your character speaks.
Translator English/Chinese Dictionary.
Orokos Online Dice Roller.
Absences Thread If you can't post for whatever reason let us know here or in OOC.
- I am asking for a daily posting commitment for this game as a general rule, with the understanding that posting might be less frequent on weekends and holidays.
- If you will NOT be able to post, for whatever reason, please ping us in OOC so we know what is going on or post to the Absences Thread (I pretty much check that thing every time it lights up).
- Please bold your character's name at the top of each IC post OR bold the first instance of your character's name in the body of the post. We all game with lots of folk, sometimes with the same players in different games; this just makes it easier to keep track of which character we're addressing.
- If you are addressing another PC in your post it is helpful to bold their character name as well so it stands out for them.
- OOC blocks are fine for showing dice rolls and brief OOC comments directly related to a particular post. Please sblock if you need to include large blocks of text related to your IC post. All other OOC content should go in the OOC thread itself.
- Please link all dice rolls back to your dice roller.
- Sam I Am